Blaze tackled at Dunmow Recreation Ground
- Credit: Archant
A specialist fire engine was sent to Great Dunmow Recreation Ground on Friday evening after a blaze was deliberately started.
Both fire crews from the town and a Pinzgauer off-road appliance from South Woodham Ferrers were called to St Edmunds Way at 7.50pm to reports of a wooden footpath which had been set alight.
The off-road engine was requested as access to the incident was difficult, Essex County Fire and Rescue Service said.
Back-pack sprayers from the appliance were used to extinguish the fire.
The fire affected approximately 15 metres of the path.
You may also want to watch:
Firefighters managed to stop the fire spreading any further by using a saw to separate the rest of the path.
The blaze was extinguished by 10.20pm.
- 1 Former POW camp on council heritage list
- 2 Trees are planted in Great Bardfield
- 3 Grandmother rescued from muddy field in Little Bardfield
- 4 The benefits of the great outdoors
- 5 Covid jabs have started at Broomfield Hospital's Vaccination Hub
- 6 Covid survival rates in Essex are among worst in country
- 7 Surgeon wins top award for hip research
- 8 Essex County Council to discuss council tax increase of up to £40
- 9 The Maltings – where would be we without our Friends?
- 10 Stations benefit from funding
The cause of the fire was recorded as deliberate.
Concerns were raised in August this year of anti-social behaviour at the recreation ground, with mum-of-three Chloe Hopkins launching a Get Back Dunmow Rec campaign in a bid to reclaim the space for members of the public.