Blaze tackled at Dunmow Recreation Ground
- Credit: Archant
A specialist fire engine was sent to Great Dunmow Recreation Ground on Friday evening after a blaze was deliberately started.
Both fire crews from the town and a Pinzgauer off-road appliance from South Woodham Ferrers were called to St Edmunds Way at 7.50pm to reports of a wooden footpath which had been set alight.
The off-road engine was requested as access to the incident was difficult, Essex County Fire and Rescue Service said.
Back-pack sprayers from the appliance were used to extinguish the fire.
The fire affected approximately 15 metres of the path.
Firefighters managed to stop the fire spreading any further by using a saw to separate the rest of the path.
The blaze was extinguished by 10.20pm.
- 1 RideLondon: The Uttlesford road closures list
- 2 'Ace line' drug dealer is jailed
- 3 Extra trains to Tottenham Hotspur Stadium for Betfred Challenge Cup final
- 4 Dunmow Rovers Tigers Under 10s celebrate 'fantastic result'
- 5 RideLondon 5 year plan: 900 object to district road closures
- 6 Scammer conned North Essex man out of £6,000
- 7 Could you be named the Essex Young Musician of the Year?
- 8 Obituary: Michael Hitchcock was known as 'Mr Bardfield'
- 9 Every household in the UK to get £400 to help with rising energy bills
- 10 Explained: What the cost of living support package means for you
The cause of the fire was recorded as deliberate.
Concerns were raised in August this year of anti-social behaviour at the recreation ground, with mum-of-three Chloe Hopkins launching a Get Back Dunmow Rec campaign in a bid to reclaim the space for members of the public.