Blaze tackled at Dunmow Recreation Ground
- Credit: Archant
A specialist fire engine was sent to Great Dunmow Recreation Ground on Friday evening after a blaze was deliberately started.
Both fire crews from the town and a Pinzgauer off-road appliance from South Woodham Ferrers were called to St Edmunds Way at 7.50pm to reports of a wooden footpath which had been set alight.
The off-road engine was requested as access to the incident was difficult, Essex County Fire and Rescue Service said.
Back-pack sprayers from the appliance were used to extinguish the fire.
The fire affected approximately 15 metres of the path.
You may also want to watch:
Firefighters managed to stop the fire spreading any further by using a saw to separate the rest of the path.
The blaze was extinguished by 10.20pm.
- 1 Contractor appointed for new enterprise centre
- 2 Dunmow Cricket Club announces new sponsor
- 3 Garden of remembrance opens, part funded by Captain Sir Tom Moore fund
- 4 Here's what you can do from May 17 as Covid restrictions ease
- 5 Deadline week for Stansted planners amid latest appeal
- 6 Stick to the paths while bluebells bloom, says Essex Wildlife Trust
- 7 Dunmow sign writer's traditional skills are a hit
- 8 Dunmow councillors to devise climate action plan
- 9 Standing for election for a seat on Essex County Council on May 6, 2021
- 10 Prisoner of war camp a 'huge part' of Essex's history
The cause of the fire was recorded as deliberate.
Concerns were raised in August this year of anti-social behaviour at the recreation ground, with mum-of-three Chloe Hopkins launching a Get Back Dunmow Rec campaign in a bid to reclaim the space for members of the public.