Blaze tackled at Dunmow Recreation Ground
- Credit: Archant
A specialist fire engine was sent to Great Dunmow Recreation Ground on Friday evening after a blaze was deliberately started.
Both fire crews from the town and a Pinzgauer off-road appliance from South Woodham Ferrers were called to St Edmunds Way at 7.50pm to reports of a wooden footpath which had been set alight.
The off-road engine was requested as access to the incident was difficult, Essex County Fire and Rescue Service said.
Back-pack sprayers from the appliance were used to extinguish the fire.
The fire affected approximately 15 metres of the path.
You may also want to watch:
Firefighters managed to stop the fire spreading any further by using a saw to separate the rest of the path.
The blaze was extinguished by 10.20pm.
- 1 Man dies after Roxwell collision, police confirm
- 2 A12 upgrade: 'The people who live here are not being considered'
- 3 Helena Romanes homes plan 'harmful urbanisation' says council
- 4 Pedestrian dies following Dunmow collision
- 5 'Gastro-Glastonbury' Foodies Festival coming to Hylands Park in Chelmsford
- 6 Festive Christmas markets to visit in Essex, 2021
- 7 Essex Police issues update on Katie Price's alleged assault
- 8 Blue-green algae proves fatal for Doctor's Pond fish
- 9 Essex initiative to support children in hospital reaches milestone
- 10 Man admits to causing death by dangerous driving after B184 collision
The cause of the fire was recorded as deliberate.
Concerns were raised in August this year of anti-social behaviour at the recreation ground, with mum-of-three Chloe Hopkins launching a Get Back Dunmow Rec campaign in a bid to reclaim the space for members of the public.