Biking in aid of air ambulance
MOTORCYCLISTS from across Essex are being encouraged to take part in this year s Essex Air Ambulance Motorcycle Run, a huge fund-raising event. Last year 4000 people took part in the rally, making it a tremendous success and raising around £28,000. Organi
MOTORCYCLISTS from across Essex are being encouraged to take part in this year's Essex Air Ambulance Motorcycle Run, a huge fund-raising event.
Last year 4000 people took part in the rally, making it a tremendous success and raising around £28,000.
Organisers are hoping that the Motorcycle Run 2007, taking place on Sunday September 16, will be an even greater success and contribute towards the £105,000 running costs the Essex Air Ambulance needs every month.
The ride sets off at around 11am from Ford Dunton in Laindon, which is just north west of Basildon.
You may also want to watch:
However, riders are recommended to get there for 8.30am as stunt rider Craig Jones will be putting on an impressive display of skill before the motorcycle run gets under way.
Riders will follow a route approved by Essex police travelling down the A127 to the A130 and on to the A12. From the A12 the bikes will be directed to Harwich on the A120, where more entertainment will greet the arriving bikers.
- 1 Pets Corner: It's time to get your dog back to training class
- 2 Revealed: almost 300 possible new development sites are submitted
- 3 Chelmsford beer festival cancelled for 2021 by Covid concerns
- 4 Revealed: The progress made so far to create a new business park
- 5 Lamborghini v Ferrari at Petrolheadonism.Club's Supercar Sunday event at The Warren Estate in Essex
- 6 7 of the prettiest villages in north-west Essex
- 7 Dunmow mayor sets out summer programme set to unite community
- 8 4 English Heritage events to enjoy at Audley End this summer
- 9 Braintree council installs further electric vehicle charging points
- 10 Stebbing on the verge of becoming 'small town', residents fear
Essex Police are closely involved in the event. The force's Mick Green said: "We wish Essex Air Ambulance every success in their motorcycle run.
"Essex Police motorcyclists and the police helicopter will be on hand to ensure that all riders have an enjoyable day and ride considerately for the safety of all concerned."
Although it is a light-hearted event, riders' and other road users' safety is being taken very seriously.
Essex County Cllr Norman Hume, chairman of the Essex Casualty Reduction Board, said: "We want motorcyclists to enjoy themselves but always wear the correct protective clothing and to take additional training if they haven't already done so."
Entry is £5 per person and pre-entry forms are available at www.essexairambulance.