Barracks to host march in memory of soldier who suffered ‘invisible injury’

PUBLISHED: 07:57 15 February 2018 | UPDATED: 07:57 15 February 2018

Carver Barracks. Picture: SaffronPhoto

Carver Barracks. Picture: SaffronPhoto

SaffronPhoto 2016

Friends and colleagues of a soldier who took his own life will be marching 10 miles in full combat equipment to raise money for the charity ‘Combat Stress’ and raise awareness of post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD).

WO Nathan Hunt served alongside Prince Harry in Afghanistan in 2008. Picture: ContributedWO Nathan Hunt served alongside Prince Harry in Afghanistan in 2008. Picture: Contributed

Warrant Officer Nathan Hunt, 39, who served at Carver Barracks in Debden, was found dead at home on January 2 after concerns were raised for his safety and police forced entry.

Serving soldiers and friends of the father-of-one hope to replicate some of the hardships faced when on operations by wearing full combat equipment in his memory during the march.

WO Hunt joined the army at the age of 16 and served alongside Prince Harry in Afghanistan in 2008.

The event will be taking place on March 17 at Carver Barracks and will be replicated by serving soldiers who are currently deployed on operations overseas.

The Just Giving fundraising page says: “After the recent tragic loss of WO2 Nathan Hunt, the issue of soldiers suffering from PTSD is ever present, and a matter which needs awareness raised to help put a stop to this invisible injury taking more service personnel lives.”

An inquest into WO Hunt’s death was opened on January 23 and the coroner gave a provisional cause of death as hanging.

The inquest was adjourned until June 21 due to ongoing inquiries.

Derek Hunt, Nathan’s father, said he and his wife Maria want the Ministry of Defence (MOD) to set up a 24/7 helpline for soldiers.

He said: “Our main aim is to get the MOD to set up a permanent 24/7 helpline. We really need the MOD to step up to the plate for their duty of care, like any employer. “The helpline we are concerned about should be run by military or ex-military - I think people are more likely to go for help from an organisation that is run by the military.”

“We really have got to stop innocent soldiers dying due to lack of support. It won’t bring my son back, but if it can stop someone else’s son being taken away, then he won’t have died in vain.”

£1,385 has been raised so far on the Just Giving page. Visit www.justgiving.com/fundraising/nathanhuntcombatstressmarch.

Civilians can get involved in the march but they should contact Cpl Wilkinson on 07703673017.

Most Read

Latest from the Dunmow Broadcast