Barnston donations boost to Broomfield Hospital
- Credit: Supplied
Barnston residents have given Broomfield Hospital staff a boost through donations of snacks and toiletries.
Karen Clarke hit on the idea after waiting in the hospital car park for her partner John, and watching ambulances arriving and queuing, and seeing staff coming outside for a break.
"I saw two nurses crying. This hit home to me that this is real. These people are seeing things and hearing things no one should ever see. So I decided to ask Barnston for donations."
After confirming the hospital would welcome this, Karen raised the issue on the Barnston community page and within a week, a large range of donated items had been left on her doorstep, including 60 new bottles of shampoo donated by Felsted Aid.
Karen and daughter Gemma sorted and boxed the donations, and Karen drove them to the hospital.
Karen said: "When I arrived I was met by a staff member and a nurse who was just overwhelmed by the amount of stuff there was. She said she wished she could hug me but couldn’t. She had a tear in her eye, as she was so grateful.
"As I drove off I to felt so very emotional and proud to live in such an amazing place. The community spirit in Barnston is bursting."
- 1 New cycle network consultation announced
- 2 Uttlesford District Council chief executive is stepping down
- 3 Prison sentence extended for man involved in Dunmow attack
- 4 Dunmow Cricket Club at 125 years and launch of Project Pavilion
- 5 The Stansted couple on an #HDHike for Huntington's disease
- 6 Outgoing mayor reflects on 'a Covid year' in office as he steps down
- 7 Things to do in May: Open Day for Gardens of Easton Lodge
- 8 Local Elections 2021: Essex County Council results for Uttlesford
- 9 Is former Love Island star Carl Woods moving to Bardfield?
- 10 Lockdown eases: new mayor and new Priest join drive-in concert