Bar owner is looking for 50 clean-shaven men for Movember
- Credit: Archant
Prepare to see a lot of facial hair over the next month, as a Bennet Canfield bar is recruiting 50 clean-shaven men to grow a tash for charity.
Nick Hall, who co-owns Sugars Café Bar, on Priors Green, with his wife Michelle, is hunting for a team to join him for this year’s Movember event.
Those brave enough to volunteer will spend November growing a moustache – strictly not a goatee or a beard – to raise awareness and funds for pancreatic cancer.
Nick, 45, whose father Roy Tams suffers from bone marrow cancer, took part last year and raised around £380 but hopes with his 50-strong team to reach more than £5,000.
The father-of-one said: “As well as it being a lot of fun and raising money, it is really about awareness. As men we can be quite bad at looking for the signs, we don’t check, we don’t do what we should and by the time we do it is often too late.”
You may also want to watch:
Participants will be given their first £5 of sponsorship by Nick and it is hoped they will raise at least £100 each for their efforts.
At the end of the month those willing to bid farewell to their tash can get a wet shave ‘off’, courtesy of Charlie Brown’s hairdressers, in Bishop’s Stortford.
- 1 There's a rainbow in the woods outside Thaxted
- 2 Grange Farm & Dunmow Runners delighted to be back at actual races
- 3 Standing for election for a seat on Essex County Council on May 6, 2021
- 4 Delight at repairs grant which will also support specialist building trade
- 5 Pay It Forward brings joy to Dunmow community
- 6 Survey reveals Uttlesford fears of fourth national Covid lockdown
- 7 Maisie the schnoodle returns to care home after year of 'fur'-lough
- 8 Your opinion matters: Help to shape the future of your newspaper
- 9 Dunmow's Flitch and Chips named as one of the UK's 10 best
- 10 Bar staff smash £1,000 target in charity challenge
“I really enjoyed it last year, even though my wife didn’t,” Nick added. “Once you start to grow your moustache you realise how many other men are doing it. It is all about the camaraderie and making sure men are not doing this on their own!”
To sign up fill out a sponsorship form at Sugars. Tash growing starts on Saturday.
There will be a number of events running at the bar throughout November, including an arm wrestling competition and steak nights to keep boosting funds.