No bikes, bands or blooms - Vélo Essex, Cambridge Folk Festival and Saffron Walden Horticultural Show are all cancelled
- Credit: Archant
The Velo event was expected to be the biggest public participation event the county had ever seen.
The coronavirus outbreak has led to the cancellation of Vélo Essex.
The event was expected to be the biggest public participation event in the county ever. It was planned for September 20, starting and finishing at Hylands Park near Chelmsford.
It had capacity for 15,000 cyclists with 100 mile and 50 mile routes, a free family ride and a festival of cycling.
Organisers, Active Sport, took the decison to call it off after government forecasts said social distancing could be in place for the next six months. They are contacting all the riders already signed up.
You may also want to watch:
Other events cancelled include Saffron Walden Horticultural Society’s summer show on June 28 at the Golden Acre Community Centre in the town. The society says it cannot predict at this point whether the autumn show will go ahead on September 20.
Another casualty is Cambridge Folk Festival, one of the world’s largest festivals of accoustic music, planned for the weekend of July 30 to August 2.
- 1 Grange Farm & Dunmow Runners delighted to be back at actual races
- 2 There's a rainbow in the woods outside Thaxted
- 3 Standing for election for a seat on Essex County Council on May 6, 2021
- 4 Join Pam on sponsored 'walkies' for Guide Dogs
- 5 Almost 800 Essex patients take part in Covid-19 Recovery trial
- 6 Pay It Forward brings joy to Dunmow community
- 7 Delight at repairs grant which will also support specialist building trade
- 8 Takeley virtual consultation opens
- 9 Actor Ray Winstone's video appeal helps double air ambulance's 'brick' sales
- 10 Elsenham WI transfixed but can't work out magician's tricks