And I would ride one thousand miles...
ONE THOUSAND miles in 24 hours? “No problem” said a 65-year-old motorcycle enthusiast after taking part in a marathon ride for the British Legion’s Poppy Appeal.
Takeley Park resident David Burnett saddled up for the challenge last weekend (June 19). Starting out in Leeds he rode the long stretch around the hills and mountains of the Scottish highlands and lowlands.
“I chose the route because of the scenery,” he said. “It was a choice of two for the ride which is organised by the legion’s riders branch. The other was more south but I thought what could be better than the Scottish roads and mountains. It was a great ride and I’d definitely do it again.”
Mr Burnett was joined by around 280 other bikers across the two routes and he managed to raise just over �400 for his individual ride. The grand total for the entire fleet now stands at �5200.
He only joined last Easter but since then the retired construction worker has been keen to help publicise what the riders branch does.
You may also want to watch:
“Not many people know that it exists,” he said. “But it is becoming very popular with lots of people from different backgrounds. You don’t have to be a war veteran – I’m not – but it is a great way to meet people and raise money.”
Although the riders branch does not have local points for get-togethers like other British Legion groups, sections of its 3000-strong membership still meet at fetes, village halls, fairs and for various rides, across the UK. For more details visit .rblr.co.uk.
- 1 Housing sites sought by Uttlesford District Council
- 2 Hot lunches to support more vulnerable in community
- 3 Beavers help with Finchingfield's 'worst flood in 20 years'
- 4 Seventh flood in Great Bardfield breaks pavement
- 5 Dolly the pig gets help after getting stuck in the mud
- 6 Man jailed for at least 18 years after murdering partner out of jealousy
- 7 Former POW camp on council heritage list
- 8 Swan Inn customers support the foodbank
- 9 Try this at home: Chef Webb from MasterChef's latest recipe
- 10 MasterChef winner Chef Webb's lockdown recipe
GIVE us your comments. E-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org or drop a letter into the Saracen’s Head, Great Dunmow, between 11am and 3pm on Monday and Thursday.