American dignitary visits Dunmow
DUNMOW museum welcomed one of America s top dignitaries on Saturday when the Lieutenant Governor of Texas came to visit. David Dewhurst came over to the these shores to visit the place where his father served during the Second World War and learn about th
DUNMOW museum welcomed one of America's top dignitaries on Saturday when the Lieutenant Governor of Texas came to visit.
David Dewhurst came over to the these shores to visit the place where his father served during the Second World War and learn about the areas rich heritage.
Ex-chairman of the Dunmow Collectors club Russell Brightman helped arrange the trip with Dunmow historian Jack Knight, who now lives in Great Yarmouth. Mr Brightman said: "An ex-colonel from France who arranges these tours got in touch and asked if we could show Mr Dewhurst around. We agreed and Jack and myself escorted him to the Little Easton airfield where is father was based."
The whistle-stop tour for the Texan deputy governor included a visit to the Dunmow museum to view artefacts found at the airfield after the war and finished at the Takeley war memorial. Mr Brightman said: "He was clearly quite emotional near the end of the tour as the memories of his father cam flooding back. But he was a really smashing person and seemed to enjoy all the history we could throw at him inside his five hour visit."
You may also want to watch:
Mr Dewhurst was the man elected Chairman of the Government's Task force on Homeland Security following the September 11 attacks in 2001 and also led the fight for Jessica's Law, designed to punish sex offenders, to have a mandatory 25 year sentence.
Mr Brightman said: "We were flanked all day by French television cameras but considering the man obvious pedigree and standing in American politics, he was really down to earth and very interested in the history of the area, it was a good day for everyone.
- 1 New cycle network consultation announced
- 2 Uttlesford District Council chief executive is stepping down
- 3 Prison sentence extended for man involved in Dunmow attack
- 4 Dunmow Cricket Club at 125 years and launch of Project Pavilion
- 5 The Stansted couple on an #HDHike for Huntington's disease
- 6 Outgoing mayor reflects on 'a Covid year' in office as he steps down
- 7 Things to do in May: Open Day for Gardens of Easton Lodge
- 8 Local Elections 2021: Essex County Council results for Uttlesford
- 9 Is former Love Island star Carl Woods moving to Bardfield?
- 10 Lockdown eases: new mayor and new Priest join drive-in concert