Abandoned pony is rescued by villagers
- Credit: Archant
Villagers came together to re-home an abandoned pony which had been left tied to a tree with a sign around its neck – in the latest saga surrounding the horses running free in Flitch Green and Felsted.
Chairman of Flitch Green Parish Council, Stephanie Harris, called in favours from friends after seeing the animal distressed in Baynard Avenue, on Tuesday.
Within hours somebody had come to pick up the pony in a horse box and moved it to its new home – but Cllr Harris, who is also a district councillor for Felsted, said problem could not go on any longer.
She told the Broadcast: “We cannot keep re-homing horses which have been abandoned. The horses have been running wild in the villages for months now.
“All the relevant authorities are very good at passing the buck when it comes to dealing with it.”
You may also want to watch:
She added: “Not only are they a danger to residents but I am also concerned about the animals’ welfare.”
Last month the Broadcast reported that the horses were showing up in gardens, children’s parks and on busy roads. But as no-one was taking responsibilty for the animals, nothing could be done.
- 1 New cycle network consultation announced
- 2 Uttlesford District Council chief executive is stepping down
- 3 Prison sentence extended for man involved in Dunmow attack
- 4 Outgoing mayor reflects on 'a Covid year' in office as he steps down
- 5 The Stansted couple on an #HDHike for Huntington's disease
- 6 Dunmow Cricket Club at 125 years and launch of Project Pavilion
- 7 Things to do in May: Open Day for Gardens of Easton Lodge
- 8 Local Elections 2021: Essex County Council results for Uttlesford
- 9 Is former Love Island star Carl Woods moving to Bardfield?
- 10 Lockdown eases: new mayor and new Priest join drive-in concert
Cllr Harris has called on Essex County Council (ECC) to “deal with the situation” so that residents can finally have peace of mind.
The Broadcast approached ECC for a comment but the authority had not responded at the time of going to press.