A mountain of a challenge
A BAND of friends who are set to take on a mountain of a challenge for charity have reached their fund-raising target.
However, Steve Collard, his brother Nick, Paul Braybrook, Nick Perry, Gary Buckland and Doug Romero – aka Team Dourdan – are eager to carry on their fund-raising efforts and want to rake in as much money as possible for The Anthony Nolan Trust, a charity that provides life-saving donors for patients in need of a bone marrow transplant.
The group all hail from the Dunmow area and will be putting their friendships, not to mention their bodies, to the test by tackling the Three Peak Challenge this month.
Spokesman for the group Steve Collard said: “We obviously want to raise as much as possible, and would really welcome more donations. We are also extremely grateful to all of our sponsors so far, including our main sponsor, Jacks of Dunmow.”
He added: “We are an unlikely group to take on a challenge like this and see ourselves as more pub-goers than mountain climbers.
“But we would like to do something that would challenge us and this gives us something to get fit for.”
The challenge entails scaling the three highest peaks in England, Scotland and Wales – Ben Nevis, Scaffell Pike and Snowdon – in 24 hours, including travelling time.
- 1 Creamfields South 2023 festival dates announced for Hylands Park
- 2 Town's annual meeting: Dr's Pond, RideLondon, parking issues
- 3 What I Learnt From My Grandmother in photographs and banners
- 4 School activities and sports in pictures
- 5 Prime Minister's honour for Dunmow duo
- 6 Stansted Airport and Cambridge trains disrupted after tree falls on tracks
- 7 Bank of England warns people have 100 days to use old £20 and £50 notes
- 8 Foodies Festival returns to Hylands Park for tasty Chelmsford weekend
- 9 Delayed Local Plan sparks Uttlesford development fears
- 10 Suspense thriller is author's fourth novel
It’s 25 miles of hiking and climbing over 10,000ft, as well as a 450 mile journey.
Although the group have reached their �5000 target, they are still eager for donations. Visit justgiving.com/teamdourdan or make a pledge by calling or texting Steve on 07764 212641.