A mountain of a challenge
A BAND of friends who are set to take on a mountain of a challenge for charity have reached their fund-raising target.
However, Steve Collard, his brother Nick, Paul Braybrook, Nick Perry, Gary Buckland and Doug Romero – aka Team Dourdan – are eager to carry on their fund-raising efforts and want to rake in as much money as possible for The Anthony Nolan Trust, a charity that provides life-saving donors for patients in need of a bone marrow transplant.
The group all hail from the Dunmow area and will be putting their friendships, not to mention their bodies, to the test by tackling the Three Peak Challenge this month.
Spokesman for the group Steve Collard said: “We obviously want to raise as much as possible, and would really welcome more donations. We are also extremely grateful to all of our sponsors so far, including our main sponsor, Jacks of Dunmow.”
He added: “We are an unlikely group to take on a challenge like this and see ourselves as more pub-goers than mountain climbers.
You may also want to watch:
“But we would like to do something that would challenge us and this gives us something to get fit for.”
The challenge entails scaling the three highest peaks in England, Scotland and Wales – Ben Nevis, Scaffell Pike and Snowdon – in 24 hours, including travelling time.
- 1 Dunmow's Flitch and Chips named as one of the UK's 10 best
- 2 Dunmow businesses delighted to be back as lockdown eases
- 3 Takeley virtual consultation opens
- 4 Prince Philip death: Uttlesford service and Garden of Remembrance
- 5 Lionel the Giant Perch is 'the perfect addition'
- 6 Great Easton pub sells at auction
- 7 Dogs seized and three arrested following police operation on Braintree Road, Dunmow
- 8 Town council challenges water softening decision
- 9 Two charged in connection with Dunmow burglary
- 10 Ram-raid gang member absconds from Suffolk jail
It’s 25 miles of hiking and climbing over 10,000ft, as well as a 450 mile journey.
Although the group have reached their �5000 target, they are still eager for donations. Visit justgiving.com/teamdourdan or make a pledge by calling or texting Steve on 07764 212641.