A marathon and Atlantic crossing - all in one year
AN intrepid fundraiser from Felsted plans to be the first man to run the gruelling Marathon des Sables and row solo across the Atlantic in the space of 12 months. Charlie Pitcher s epic adventures were first covered in the Broadcast a year ago. Since then
AN intrepid fundraiser from Felsted plans to be the first man to run the gruelling Marathon des Sables and row solo across the Atlantic in the space of 12 months.
Charlie Pitcher's epic adventures were first covered in the Broadcast a year ago.
Since then the father-of-four has gone on to raise nearly �2500 for the Addenbrooke's Hospital Kidney Unit, although that is still some way off his �100,000 target.
The 45-year-old will be undertaking these challenges in loving memory of his friend Shaun McLeod-Jones, who was a kidney dialysis patient at Addenbrooke's for 13 years until he died in May 2003.
Mr Pitcher said: "These challenges will push my limits both mentally and physically. I love running and have an affinity with the sea, so the Marathon des Sables and the Atlantic Rowing Race are the perfect arenas to achieve that goal.
"I also want to give back something to Shaun McLeod-Jones who gave so much to me as a great friend. These challenges will raise money for the hospital that became Shaun's 'home from home' for the last 13 years of his life."
- 1 Dunmow's Stables Hotel could become flats as business 'no longer viable'
- 2 Thaxted community in shock after fatal house fire
- 3 'Many questions' claim as Uttlesford leader John Lodge announces resignation
- 4 Dunmow TKD enjoy medal-laden trip to British Championships
- 5 Finchingfield's Bethany Shriever crowned Young Sportswoman of the Year
- 6 Great Dunmow restaurant Jalsa Ghar at the British Curry Awards
- 7 More jab capacity planned in North Uttlesford as Omicron variant appears
- 8 Christmas in Essex: 9 magical places to visit in winter
- 9 30 new homes proposed for Hatfield Broad Oak
- 10 In pictures: Santa's sleigh is in the Dunmow district
The Marathon des Sables is an annual 150-mile trek across the Sahara Desert in Morocco, and takes place from March 29 until April 4.
Mr Pitcher has been training hard for the event, which sees the competitors undertake a six-day endurance event totalling five and a half marathons across desert and sand dunes in up to 120 degrees Fahrenheit.
When the marathon is complete, he will then start training to row 3000 miles solo in the Woodvale Atlantic Rowing Race. The race starts in the Canary Islands in December and finishes in Antigua, and can take up to 90 days to complete.
But Mr Pitcher is no stranger to the water, having been involved in the America's Cup, several Admiral's Cups, Whitbread and Olympic campaigns.
Find out more and sponsor Mr Pitcher at www.transatlanticsolo.com or www.justgiving.com/charliepitcher