2.5 tonnes of rubbish cleared from A120 through Uttlesford
- Credit: Archant
Almost 800 bags of rubbish were collected on the Uttlesford section of the A120 as part of a routine litter picking programme.
Four times a year Uttlesford District Council’s street services team cleans up the verges of the 11-mile stretch of highway that runs through the district.
The latest clearance showed a 40% reduction on the amount of litter collected on the last full pick carried out in March, and follows the Cleaner Essex Group Don’t toss it campaign which targeted littering from vehicles.
The bags weighed an average of 3kg each – meaning a combined total of almost two-and-a-half tonnes of litter was cleared from the A120 verges, equivalent to the weight of one-and-a-half cars.
Susan Barker, district councillor for environmental services, said: “Throwing litter from vehicles is unacceptable and we would remind motorists that they risk being hit in the pocket with a fine, or prosecuted, if they do so.
“Litter is not only unsightly, it spoils our countryside, is bad for the environment and it can cause a hazard. It also costs money to clear up and this is a resource that could be better used elsewhere.”
The maximum on-the-spot fines for dropping litter will almost double from April 2018 – from the current limit of £80 to £150. Councils will be able to impose these fines on the owners of vehicles from which litter is thrown, even if it was discarded by someone else.
- 1 Dunmow's Stables Hotel could become flats as business 'no longer viable'
- 2 Thaxted community in shock after fatal house fire
- 3 'Many questions' claim as Uttlesford leader John Lodge announces resignation
- 4 Dunmow TKD enjoy medal-laden trip to British Championships
- 5 Finchingfield's Bethany Shriever crowned Young Sportswoman of the Year
- 6 Great Dunmow restaurant Jalsa Ghar at the British Curry Awards
- 7 More jab capacity planned in North Uttlesford as Omicron variant appears
- 8 Christmas in Essex: 9 magical places to visit in winter
- 9 30 new homes proposed for Hatfield Broad Oak
- 10 In pictures: Santa's sleigh is in the Dunmow district
To report littering from a vehicle, complete an online form at www.uttlesford.gov.uk/litter including as much detail as possible.