1,000 pupils, staff evacuated in school fire drama
SEVERE smoke damage was caused to part of Newport Free Grammar School by a fire that is believed to have been started deliberately as a schoolboy prank that went wrong. Police, fire crews and a medical emergency vehicle responded to a fire alarm at the sc
SEVERE smoke damage was caused to part of Newport Free Grammar School by a fire that is believed to have been started deliberately as a schoolboy prank that went wrong.
Police, fire crews and a medical emergency vehicle responded to a fire alarm at the school shortly before 2pm on Monday.
All 1,000 pupils and staff were evacuated when the alarms were set off, but everybody was accounted for and nobody was hurt in the incident.
The fire was found to have been started in a boys' toilet on the ground floor and is believed to have started from a toilet-roll holder that had been set alight.
You may also want to watch:
Although the fire was small and there was only minor damage caused by the heat, a large amount of damage was caused by the smoke, which even penetrated the floor above.
Headteacher at the school, Richard Priestley, said: "The fire was started deliberately and further investigations are being carried out."
- 1 Local Elections 2021: Essex County Council results for Uttlesford
- 2 Here's what you can do from May 17 as Covid restrictions ease
- 3 Is former Love Island star Carl Woods moving to Bardfield?
- 4 High Easter claim Division Two title with win over Great Bradfords
- 5 New mayor and deputy mayor appointed for town council
- 6 Concerns that Covid lockdowns has caused fitness levels to drop
- 7 Contractor appointed for new enterprise centre
- 8 Local elections 2021: UDC ward results for Newport and The Sampfords
- 9 Dunmow Cricket Club announces new sponsor
- 10 Stick to the paths while bluebells bloom, says Essex Wildlife Trust
The investigation is being carried out by officers from the police and fire services.