What a waste
Essex County Council s plans to build a recycling centre for household waste on land at the south east of the town ( Household recycling facility on the cards , Dunmow Broadcast, April 5) is an all-round bad idea. Our councils still collect our rubbish we
Essex County Council's plans to build a recycling centre for household waste on land at the south east of the town ('Household recycling facility on the cards', Dunmow Broadcast, April 5) is an all-round bad idea.
Our councils still collect our rubbish weekly and have not moved to fortnightly collections YET, but that is the trend and I would be very surprised if we still had our rubbish collected weekly in a year.
And then what of the recycling facility? So the ECC spokesman assures us the waste will not be on site long enough to create an odour problem but come the summer, that stench will be emitted the moment the lorries discharge their cargo, so even if it is shifted within hours, that will be a stench.
And when the south easterly winds come from the continent in the summer months, the stink will waft straight over Dunmow so we'll all have to put up with it.
Add this to the hundreds of lorries and cars and the combined smell of refuse and vehicle stench will be utterly unbearable.
There is no doubt that Dunmow needs a recycling facility - I am all for recycling - but this site so near to the town centre is entirely the wrong place. Guests at the Travelodge will be unable to open their windows and I pity the police officers working at the new police station.
- 1 A giant snail, sporting success and other school news
- 2 Hannah Mortier returns to boxing to raise awareness of the fight against domestic violence
- 3 How the proposed energy price cap changes could affect your bills
- 4 243 Takeley homes granted outline approval despite concerns
- 5 Visit Great Yarmouth for a family staycation
- 6 How to celebrate the Queen's Platinum Jubilee in Essex
- 7 Dunmow Velo: New group ride for beginners as RideLondon due
- 8 Jailed: 'Selfish' 135mph driver spotted speeding on M11 near Woodford
- 9 110 homes near Stansted Airport: design and details approved
- 10 Man dies at the scene of A120 'incident'
I am glad landscaping will be included in the plans but this is such a large building that no landscaping will ever hide it completely.
However, if the county council wants the centre, it only has to give itself permission and just go ahead, doesn't it?
Name and address supplied