Watch the film Exodus!
IN RESPONSE to Morgan Rees letter. I didn t hear Joanna Millen s talk, but am well aware of the pain these brave survivors must experience when reliving their horrific memories so as future generations may never forget . In hindsight, we often think th
IN RESPONSE to Morgan Rees' letter. I didn't hear Joanna Millen's talk, but am well aware of the pain these brave survivors must experience when reliving their horrific memories so as future generations 'may never forget'.
In hindsight, we often think that more could have been done, but I take issue with the idea that it is a 'Jewish perspective' that not enough was done.
Nazi persecution of German Jews started in 1933 and every country that might have offered safe haven, including the British Mandate of Palestine, imposed strict quotas.
Britain and her allies went to war with Germany to stop Germany's advance into Europe and not intrinsically to save the Jews or any other minority group.
Perhaps Mr Rees is unaware that there were Jewish members of the British and allied armed forces who helped to defeat the Nazis and also of the fact that Jewish refugees to Britain have contributed enormously to their host country.
I doubt if those 'rescued' by the Russians could 'breathe the free air again' nor those who were refused entry into Palestine and were either interned behind barbed wire in Cyprus or worse, sent back to Germany in their over crowded boats. The British doggedly refused to increase their quota.
- 1 Every household in the UK to get £400 to help with rising energy bills
- 2 Scammer conned North Essex man out of £6,000
- 3 Explained: What the cost of living support package means for you
- 4 RideLondon 5 year plan: 900 object to district road closures
- 5 Obituary: Michael Hitchcock was known as 'Mr Bardfield'
- 6 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
- 7 Dunmow Rovers Youth FC get £1,000 donation for new kits
- 8 Dunmow Rovers Tigers Under 10s celebrate 'fantastic result'
- 9 Outdoor theatre shows for all the family set for the National Trust's Hatfield Forest this summer
- 10 High Easter hit Legends with second-half goal blitz
I suggest that if there was a 'murderous campaign' it was launched against these wretched refugees, who had experienced Nazi persecution with the horror of the Russian pogroms still in living memory.
They were being prevented from finding a safe haven in this tiny strip of uncultivated land, which had long been promised to them. May I suggest that Mr Rees watches the film Exodus!
# I?WAS also delighted to hear in the Broadcast about the reclassification of the A130 and hope that it may also help to have a positive effect on the amount of littered grass verges.