Watch the film Exodus!
IN RESPONSE to Morgan Rees letter. I didn t hear Joanna Millen s talk, but am well aware of the pain these brave survivors must experience when reliving their horrific memories so as future generations may never forget . In hindsight, we often think th
IN RESPONSE to Morgan Rees' letter. I didn't hear Joanna Millen's talk, but am well aware of the pain these brave survivors must experience when reliving their horrific memories so as future generations 'may never forget'.
In hindsight, we often think that more could have been done, but I take issue with the idea that it is a 'Jewish perspective' that not enough was done.
Nazi persecution of German Jews started in 1933 and every country that might have offered safe haven, including the British Mandate of Palestine, imposed strict quotas.
Britain and her allies went to war with Germany to stop Germany's advance into Europe and not intrinsically to save the Jews or any other minority group.
You may also want to watch:
Perhaps Mr Rees is unaware that there were Jewish members of the British and allied armed forces who helped to defeat the Nazis and also of the fact that Jewish refugees to Britain have contributed enormously to their host country.
I doubt if those 'rescued' by the Russians could 'breathe the free air again' nor those who were refused entry into Palestine and were either interned behind barbed wire in Cyprus or worse, sent back to Germany in their over crowded boats. The British doggedly refused to increase their quota.
- 1 New cycle network consultation announced
- 2 Uttlesford District Council chief executive is stepping down
- 3 Prison sentence extended for man involved in Dunmow attack
- 4 Dunmow Cricket Club at 125 years and launch of Project Pavilion
- 5 The Stansted couple on an #HDHike for Huntington's disease
- 6 Local Elections 2021: Essex County Council results for Uttlesford
- 7 Things to do in May: Open Day for Gardens of Easton Lodge
- 8 Outgoing mayor reflects on 'a Covid year' in office as he steps down
- 9 Is former Love Island star Carl Woods moving to Bardfield?
- 10 Lockdown eases: new mayor and new Priest join drive-in concert
I suggest that if there was a 'murderous campaign' it was launched against these wretched refugees, who had experienced Nazi persecution with the horror of the Russian pogroms still in living memory.
They were being prevented from finding a safe haven in this tiny strip of uncultivated land, which had long been promised to them. May I suggest that Mr Rees watches the film Exodus!
# I?WAS also delighted to hear in the Broadcast about the reclassification of the A130 and hope that it may also help to have a positive effect on the amount of littered grass verges.