Time for a change of climate over Stansted
Like other householders in Uttlesford I have just read the Autumn 2006 edition of Uttlesfordlife delivered free throughout the district. From reading its contents it is clear that elected councillors and salaried officers are taking a great deal of notice
Like other householders in Uttlesford I have just read the Autumn 2006 edition of Uttlesfordlife delivered free throughout the district.
From reading its contents it is clear that elected councillors and salaried officers are taking a great deal of notice of the problems of climate change. They are expending a great deal of time and effort in advising, urging and helping all of us who live here to reduce our personal contribution to global warming by recycling, conserving water and saving energy.
However, all the efforts of officers, councillors and members of the public could be totally nullified by a planning decision in favour of expanding the use of the existing runway at Stansted Airport.
Would I be right in assuming that before a decision is made, a carefully researched and calculated environmental audit will be presented which will show without a shadow of a doubt that any environmental damage that could be caused by increasing the use of the current single runway will be totally mopped up by the environmental benefit of this generation's unrestrained charging about all over the country, the continent and the rest of the world in these pollution-producing machines? (What can be environmentally beneficial in such activity? I ask myself.)
You may also want to watch:
Only with an environmentally neutral balance sheet could we all sleep soundly in our beds at night, protected by our ear plugs, knowing that our grandchildren's children might never have the burden (or opportunity) of making such momentous decisions.
Who is kidding whom? Or have we all gone mad? I sincerely hope not, and in this respect I very much doubt I am unique.
- 1 New cycle network consultation announced
- 2 Uttlesford District Council chief executive is stepping down
- 3 Prison sentence extended for man involved in Dunmow attack
- 4 Outgoing mayor reflects on 'a Covid year' in office as he steps down
- 5 The Stansted couple on an #HDHike for Huntington's disease
- 6 Dunmow Cricket Club at 125 years and launch of Project Pavilion
- 7 Things to do in May: Open Day for Gardens of Easton Lodge
- 8 Local Elections 2021: Essex County Council results for Uttlesford
- 9 Lockdown eases: new mayor and new Priest join drive-in concert
- 10 Is former Love Island star Carl Woods moving to Bardfield?
The Old Post Office,