I FEEL I need to add balance to your lead article Vandal destroys village memorial on October 19. Obviously we are all upset by the damage caused to the War Memorial, but I feel that to say it was an act of mindless vandalism is not really how it was.
I FEEL I need to add balance to your lead article 'Vandal destroys village memorial' on October 19.
Obviously we are all upset by the damage caused to the War Memorial, but I feel that to say it was 'an act of mindless vandalism' is not really how it was.
A young man, from the area, had enjoyed one too many drinks, not an uncommon thing these days or indeed in the past. In his distorted drunk wisdom it seemed like a good idea to climb to the top of the War Memorial.
Nearing the top, the cross fell off - he went with it, resulting in a very serious injury for which he is still in hospital. Yes, it was stupid, but mindless vandalism it wasn't.
You may also want to watch:
The pub, where the man had been drinking, has since had a sponsored silence and I believe they have raised £300 to help pay for the repairs.
- 1 New cycle network consultation announced
- 2 Dunmow and Stansted councillors not in new Essex County Council cabinet
- 3 Outgoing mayor reflects on 'a Covid year' in office as he steps down
- 4 Prison sentence extended for man involved in Dunmow attack
- 5 Uttlesford District Council chief executive is stepping down
- 6 Local Elections 2021: Essex County Council results for Uttlesford
- 7 Lockdown eases: new mayor and new Priest join drive-in concert
- 8 Uttlesford's shops still suffer from low footfall, Google data shows
- 9 Is former Love Island star Carl Woods moving to Bardfield?
- 10 The Stansted couple on an #HDHike for Huntington's disease