I FEEL I need to add balance to your lead article Vandal destroys village memorial on October 19. Obviously we are all upset by the damage caused to the War Memorial, but I feel that to say it was an act of mindless vandalism is not really how it was.
I FEEL I need to add balance to your lead article 'Vandal destroys village memorial' on October 19.
Obviously we are all upset by the damage caused to the War Memorial, but I feel that to say it was 'an act of mindless vandalism' is not really how it was.
A young man, from the area, had enjoyed one too many drinks, not an uncommon thing these days or indeed in the past. In his distorted drunk wisdom it seemed like a good idea to climb to the top of the War Memorial.
Nearing the top, the cross fell off - he went with it, resulting in a very serious injury for which he is still in hospital. Yes, it was stupid, but mindless vandalism it wasn't.
You may also want to watch:
The pub, where the man had been drinking, has since had a sponsored silence and I believe they have raised £300 to help pay for the repairs.
- 1 Pets Corner: It's time to get your dog back to training class
- 2 Revealed: The progress made so far to create a new business park
- 3 Chelmsford beer festival cancelled for 2021 by Covid concerns
- 4 Braintree council installs further electric vehicle charging points
- 5 In pictures: Uttlesford pupils' fun before the summer holidays
- 6 7 of the prettiest villages in north-west Essex
- 7 Lamborghini v Ferrari at Petrolheadonism.Club's Supercar Sunday event at The Warren Estate in Essex
- 8 Coronavirus rates in Essex are doubling every 10 days
- 9 Stebbing on the verge of becoming 'small town', residents fear
- 10 Revealed: almost 300 possible new development sites are submitted