I AM an ex-Dunmow resident but now live in Australia. Australia has a shopping culture (in most areas) similar to that proposed by UDC for Dunmow – large, americanised, shopping centres, containing the same, chain shops found everywhere in Australia – th
I AM an ex-Dunmow resident but now live in Australia.
Australia has a shopping culture (in most areas) similar to that proposed by UDC for Dunmow - large, americanised, shopping centres, containing the same, chain shops found everywhere in Australia - there is no uniqueness.
As a result, most Australian suburbs have NO High Street, and very little town community. Indeed, the only community on offer is at the RSL clubs (pubs with pokie machines to us English). It is not good.
Please do not make the same mistake with our English towns. Learn from other experiences, and look globally at consequences, not just on your doorstep.
By going ahead with the district council's plans, you will ruin Dunmow's community, local business, and its unique offerings.
Tread carefully please Uttlesford District Council. There will be no retrieving what you loose once the big stores take over.
- 1 243 Takeley homes granted outline approval despite concerns
- 2 Life-saving kit that residents hope they will never use
- 3 Stebbing Tractor Run: This is the new route for 2022
- 4 Dunmow pilots airlift medical aid to help Ukraine
- 5 Man dies at the scene of A120 'incident'
- 6 Musical theatre stars to bring the West End to Saffron Walden in celebration of Rodgers & Hammerstein
- 7 How to celebrate the Queen's Platinum Jubilee in Essex
- 8 Dunmow Velo: New group ride for beginners as RideLondon due
- 9 Aythorpe Roding come up short in league opener
- 10 Things to do in Essex this June
Holland Park West