I AM an ex-Dunmow resident but now live in Australia. Australia has a shopping culture (in most areas) similar to that proposed by UDC for Dunmow – large, americanised, shopping centres, containing the same, chain shops found everywhere in Australia – th
I AM an ex-Dunmow resident but now live in Australia.
Australia has a shopping culture (in most areas) similar to that proposed by UDC for Dunmow - large, americanised, shopping centres, containing the same, chain shops found everywhere in Australia - there is no uniqueness.
As a result, most Australian suburbs have NO High Street, and very little town community. Indeed, the only community on offer is at the RSL clubs (pubs with pokie machines to us English). It is not good.
Please do not make the same mistake with our English towns. Learn from other experiences, and look globally at consequences, not just on your doorstep.
You may also want to watch:
By going ahead with the district council's plans, you will ruin Dunmow's community, local business, and its unique offerings.
Tread carefully please Uttlesford District Council. There will be no retrieving what you loose once the big stores take over.
- 1 Dogs seized and three arrested following police operation on Braintree Road, Dunmow
- 2 Two charged in connection with Dunmow burglary
- 3 No 11th hour reprieve for Finchingfield homes plan
- 4 New Dunmow school approved but safety fears aired
- 5 Great Easton pub sells at auction
- 6 More history made by Dunmow Taekwondo's talented students
- 7 'That's more like it' roars Takeley's John Hedges after comfortable win in pro fight number two
- 8 Woman taken to hospital after serious accident between Takeley and Dunmow
- 9 Residents urged to have their say in housing consultation
- 10 Laptops and jewellery stolen during Dunmow burglary
Holland Park West