Ribbon development is just not on
I HOPE you are overwhelmed with objections to the so-called eco-village proposed for the open country between Dunmow and Braintree. Nobody is fooled by this trendy new name for a new housing estate. For all its solar panels it creates exactly the same p
I HOPE you are overwhelmed with objections to the so-called eco-village proposed for the open country between Dunmow and Braintree.
Nobody is fooled by this trendy new name for a new housing estate.
For all its solar panels it creates exactly the same problems, traffic and pollution as any other estate and uses just as much water. Water is scarce even for the real villages of this area.
There was once a railway from Bishop's Stortford to Braintree. Every suggestion of restoring it has been met by cynical silences.
You may also want to watch:
Had it been restored there could be an argument for enlarging the settlements round its stations.
Ribbon development along roads is a different matter entirely. When you have connected Dunmow to Braintree what next?
- 1 WATCH: Thaxted Morris Men dance together again
- 2 School thanks 'Super Trouper' Carol
- 3 More than 200 people join the search for missing A120 cat, Daisy
- 4 School class in Dunmow wins national award
- 5 Garden restoration project joy after public appeal help
- 6 Essex's Ben Maher takes Tokyo 2020 gold
- 7 Gold filling 'worth about £50' found in Tesco granola squares pack
- 8 Incredible undefeated season at first time of asking for Dunmow Rovers U7 Tigers
- 9 In this week's paper: Dunmow Broadcast on Thursday August 5
- 10 Ipswich man charged in connection with Cheshunt rail incident
Eventually the urbanisation stretches from Chelmsford to Cambridge, linking the A12 to the A14.
Braintree has already ballooned out towards Chelmsford. Its horrific new industrial estate is heading east along the A120. Does anyone care if Braintree and Dunmow eventually merge?
The inhabitants of Rayne, the Salings, Stebbing, and Stebbing Green and the Felsted greens certainly do.
Hugh Johnson OBE