Penguin-making competition winner 'pecks' up £50 prize
- Credit: Rayne PSA
The result of a 'penguin trail' competition has been decided - with just one vote in it!
Martyn Phillips won the top £50 prize in Rayne's winter penguin trail with a Lapland-themed design.
Ricky Clark earned himself a giant cuddly penguin after scooping second place.
Penguin-seekers paid for maps and went looking for window displays and garden features in Rayne, then voted for their favourites.
They raised £625.36 for the village's primary and nursery school.
Emma Wood, Rayne Parent-Staff Association vice-chair, said: "We are so incredibly grateful to the community for taking part.
"The penguins were so original.
- 1 Creamfields South 2023 festival dates announced for Hylands Park
- 2 Town's annual meeting: Dr's Pond, RideLondon, parking issues
- 3 What I Learnt From My Grandmother in photographs and banners
- 4 School activities and sports in pictures
- 5 Prime Minister's honour for Dunmow duo
- 6 Stansted Airport and Cambridge trains disrupted after tree falls on tracks
- 7 Bank of England warns people have 100 days to use old £20 and £50 notes
- 8 Foodies Festival returns to Hylands Park for tasty Chelmsford weekend
- 9 Delayed Local Plan sparks Uttlesford development fears
- 10 Suspense thriller is author's fourth novel
"There were hundreds of maps sold and it was delightful to see happy smiling faces walking through the village."
A £100 prize draw was held when the event finished.
Emma added: "The winner of the draw was a pupil at the school.
"She was so delighted she danced round the room when her name was called!"