I AM interested in the former Bishop s Stortford – Dunmow – Braintree railway line. Although much of it has disappeared, one or two bridges that carried the line are still intact, as are the station buildings (which have been restored) and the single plat
I AM interested in the former Bishop's Stortford - Dunmow - Braintree railway line. Although much of it has disappeared, one or two bridges that carried the line are still intact, as are the station buildings (which have been restored) and the single platforms at Takeley and Rayne.
Also to be found is a mound of earth, which was the platform at 'Easton Lodge' - a halt on the outskirts of Dunmow, which had a level crossing even into the 70's when freight trains served the Geest banana factory, which is adjacent to it.
The line was severed close by, with a second level crossing to the factory. Whilst the goods trains ran, a signal post remained in situ near Takeley Station. It disappeared when the track was taken up.
I have not been able to find out if the platform remains at Felsted station, although the old building can be seen from the road close to the now dismantled bridge. I wonder if any reader can provide me with this information?
Mr A. Wheeler
- 1 243 Takeley homes granted outline approval despite concerns
- 2 Dunmow pilots airlift medical aid to help Ukraine
- 3 Life-saving kit that residents hope they will never use
- 4 Stebbing Tractor Run: This is the new route for 2022
- 5 Man dies at the scene of A120 'incident'
- 6 How to celebrate the Queen's Platinum Jubilee in Essex
- 7 Musical theatre stars to bring the West End to Saffron Walden in celebration of Rodgers & Hammerstein
- 8 Dunmow Velo: New group ride for beginners as RideLondon due
- 9 Aythorpe Roding come up short in league opener
- 10 110 homes near Stansted Airport: design and details approved