I AM interested in the former Bishop s Stortford – Dunmow – Braintree railway line. Although much of it has disappeared, one or two bridges that carried the line are still intact, as are the station buildings (which have been restored) and the single plat
I AM interested in the former Bishop's Stortford - Dunmow - Braintree railway line. Although much of it has disappeared, one or two bridges that carried the line are still intact, as are the station buildings (which have been restored) and the single platforms at Takeley and Rayne.
Also to be found is a mound of earth, which was the platform at 'Easton Lodge' - a halt on the outskirts of Dunmow, which had a level crossing even into the 70's when freight trains served the Geest banana factory, which is adjacent to it.
The line was severed close by, with a second level crossing to the factory. Whilst the goods trains ran, a signal post remained in situ near Takeley Station. It disappeared when the track was taken up.
I have not been able to find out if the platform remains at Felsted station, although the old building can be seen from the road close to the now dismantled bridge. I wonder if any reader can provide me with this information?
You may also want to watch:
Mr A. Wheeler
- 1 TSB closes Dunmow branch
- 2 Dunmow and Stansted councillors not in new Essex County Council cabinet
- 3 New Dunmow and Barnston vicar thanks community for their warm welcome
- 4 Lockdown eases: new mayor and new Priest join drive-in concert
- 5 New cycle network consultation announced
- 6 New on-call firefighters have joined stations
- 7 Prison sentence extended for man involved in Dunmow attack
- 8 Local Elections 2021: Essex County Council results for Uttlesford
- 9 Outgoing mayor reflects on 'a Covid year' in office as he steps down
- 10 Uttlesford's shops still suffer from low footfall, Google data shows