Out of touch
I FIND it mildly amusing that Cllr Dean now seeks to justify his loathing of all things relating to Stansted Airport by using a limited group of statistics published in a national newspaper (Postbag November 16). This week he rattles on about the social b
I FIND it mildly amusing that Cllr Dean now seeks to justify his loathing of all things relating to Stansted Airport by using a limited group of statistics published in a national newspaper (Postbag November 16).
This week he rattles on about the social background of airport users, expressing horror that 'only' 9.5 per cent of those flying from Stansted were on benefits. What on earth is he on about?
The fact that more than two million unemployed people flew from the airport is staggering, and a clear sign that air travel is truly available to all members of society. But, knowing Cllr Dean's views, he'll probably now launch an attack on the airport for encouraging those who should be seeking jobs to skip off abroad!
However, in his haste to repeat the claims made in The Times, Cllr Dean is tripped up by a lack of understanding of what type of person falls into what social category.
You may also want to watch:
The people he so resents having the opportunity to fly include nurses, teachers and policemen - hardly the rich and famous. This highlights how out of touch he really is.
- 1 New Dunmow and Barnston vicar thanks community for their warm welcome
- 2 TSB closes Dunmow branch
- 3 Dunmow and Stansted councillors not in new Essex County Council cabinet
- 4 New on-call firefighters have joined stations
- 5 Man sentenced after admitting two charges of sexual assault
- 6 Lockdown eases: new mayor and new Priest join drive-in concert
- 7 Prisoner of war camp a 'huge part' of Essex's history
- 8 New cycle network consultation announced
- 9 Summer art competition for children launched by school
- 10 Prison sentence extended for man involved in Dunmow attack
Woodlands Park Drive