IT COMES as no surprise to hear that BAA are having to look further afield to fill the extra 160 security staff posts at Stansted Airport. A spokesperson admitted that they were having difficulty in drawing an appropriate number of applicants as there is
IT COMES as no surprise to hear that BAA are having to look further afield to fill the extra 160 security staff posts at Stansted Airport.
A spokesperson admitted that they were having difficulty in drawing an appropriate number of applicants as there is little unemployment in the area.
We now learn that Polish workers employed at the airport as baggage handlers and check-in staff are being treated unfairly.
According to the GMB union these people are "being shortchanged by enforced employment status". Because of an anomaly in their employment status they are classified by their employer Swissport as self employed despite only working for the single employer.
You may also want to watch:
These workers do not receive any sick pay, holiday pay or other benefits normally afforded to directly employed workers. Furthermore various agencies take a large cut of their earnings for accommodation and fees.
A further problem facing these migrant workers is that their accommodation is in Takeley and without transport they are forced to walk the three miles to the airport along unlit country lanes in the early hours of the morning.
- 1 There's a rainbow in the woods outside Thaxted
- 2 Grange Farm & Dunmow Runners delighted to be back at actual races
- 3 Standing for election for a seat on Essex County Council on May 6, 2021
- 4 Delight at repairs grant which will also support specialist building trade
- 5 Pay It Forward brings joy to Dunmow community
- 6 Survey reveals Uttlesford fears of fourth national Covid lockdown
- 7 Maisie the schnoodle returns to care home after year of 'fur'-lough
- 8 Your opinion matters: Help to shape the future of your newspaper
- 9 Dunmow's Flitch and Chips named as one of the UK's 10 best
- 10 Bar staff smash £1,000 target in charity challenge
Is this the type of exploitation of Eastern European workers we should expect to see more of from BAA if expansion at Stansted goes ahead?