IT COMES as no surprise to hear that BAA are having to look further afield to fill the extra 160 security staff posts at Stansted Airport. A spokesperson admitted that they were having difficulty in drawing an appropriate number of applicants as there is
IT COMES as no surprise to hear that BAA are having to look further afield to fill the extra 160 security staff posts at Stansted Airport.
A spokesperson admitted that they were having difficulty in drawing an appropriate number of applicants as there is little unemployment in the area.
We now learn that Polish workers employed at the airport as baggage handlers and check-in staff are being treated unfairly.
According to the GMB union these people are "being shortchanged by enforced employment status". Because of an anomaly in their employment status they are classified by their employer Swissport as self employed despite only working for the single employer.
These workers do not receive any sick pay, holiday pay or other benefits normally afforded to directly employed workers. Furthermore various agencies take a large cut of their earnings for accommodation and fees.
A further problem facing these migrant workers is that their accommodation is in Takeley and without transport they are forced to walk the three miles to the airport along unlit country lanes in the early hours of the morning.
- 1 Dunmow's Stables Hotel could become flats as business 'no longer viable'
- 2 Thaxted community in shock after fatal house fire
- 3 'Many questions' claim as Uttlesford leader John Lodge announces resignation
- 4 Dunmow TKD enjoy medal-laden trip to British Championships
- 5 Finchingfield's Bethany Shriever crowned Young Sportswoman of the Year
- 6 Great Dunmow restaurant Jalsa Ghar at the British Curry Awards
- 7 More jab capacity planned in North Uttlesford as Omicron variant appears
- 8 Christmas in Essex: 9 magical places to visit in winter
- 9 30 new homes proposed for Hatfield Broad Oak
- 10 In pictures: Santa's sleigh is in the Dunmow district
Is this the type of exploitation of Eastern European workers we should expect to see more of from BAA if expansion at Stansted goes ahead?