No alcohol please
I was appalled to read that youngsters are allowed to buy alcohol (Broadcast, November 6). Any parent will tell you that youngsters of all ages will do their best to get away with anything they are allowed to, and if retailers sell them prohibited beverag
I was appalled to read that youngsters are allowed to buy alcohol (Broadcast, November 6).
Any parent will tell you that youngsters of all ages will do their best to get away with anything they are allowed to, and if retailers sell them prohibited beverages, children will buy with absolute certainty.
It is this kind of behaviour that promotes 'binge drinking' when the youngsters are old enough to buy alcohol legally, and the problems of drunken youths - of both sexes - roaming
our streets causing havoc and mayhem are well documented.
You may also want to watch:
Your report says a fixed penalty notice was issued. Unfortunately, if the amount of profit the retailer makes from selling this under-age alcohol is more than the amount he was fined, it would be in his financial interest to keep selling to youngsters.
I trust Essex County Council will keep a very close eye on the retailer involved and if he is caught repeating the offence it will not only be a hefty fine but a revocation of his licence.
- 1 Stroke at 27 - now teacher is giving something back
- 2 Parking charge agreed despite 7,500 signature petition to council
- 3 Design of 326 houses approved for Dunmow
- 4 Controversial investment is ethical, district councillors say
- 5 Two dogs stolen as Uttlesford dog owners voice concern
- 6 Co-op windows are smashed and cigarettes stolen
- 7 Essex recruiting on-call firefighters
- 8 Robbers leave with hundreds of pounds after threatening business staff
- 9 Quakers ask district council to reverse decision as investment row continues
- 10 How County Hall is helping our economy bounce back in the wake of the pandemic
It will also act as a deterrent to other retailers, which the council has not yet caught, that they should not commit this crime.
Name and address supplied