No alcohol please
I was appalled to read that youngsters are allowed to buy alcohol (Broadcast, November 6). Any parent will tell you that youngsters of all ages will do their best to get away with anything they are allowed to, and if retailers sell them prohibited beverag
I was appalled to read that youngsters are allowed to buy alcohol (Broadcast, November 6).
Any parent will tell you that youngsters of all ages will do their best to get away with anything they are allowed to, and if retailers sell them prohibited beverages, children will buy with absolute certainty.
It is this kind of behaviour that promotes 'binge drinking' when the youngsters are old enough to buy alcohol legally, and the problems of drunken youths - of both sexes - roaming
our streets causing havoc and mayhem are well documented.
You may also want to watch:
Your report says a fixed penalty notice was issued. Unfortunately, if the amount of profit the retailer makes from selling this under-age alcohol is more than the amount he was fined, it would be in his financial interest to keep selling to youngsters.
I trust Essex County Council will keep a very close eye on the retailer involved and if he is caught repeating the offence it will not only be a hefty fine but a revocation of his licence.
- 1 Local Elections 2021: Essex County Council results for Uttlesford
- 2 Is former Love Island star Carl Woods moving to Bardfield?
- 3 New mayor and deputy mayor appointed for town council
- 4 Contractor appointed for new enterprise centre
- 5 High Easter claim Division Two title with win over Great Bradfords
- 6 Here's what you can do from May 17 as Covid restrictions ease
- 7 Local elections 2021: UDC ward results for Newport and The Sampfords
- 8 Deadline week for Stansted planners amid latest appeal
- 9 Prime minister to give green light for May 17 Covid-19 lockdown easing
- 10 Dunmow councillors to devise climate action plan
It will also act as a deterrent to other retailers, which the council has not yet caught, that they should not commit this crime.
Name and address supplied