No alcohol please
I was appalled to read that youngsters are allowed to buy alcohol (Broadcast, November 6). Any parent will tell you that youngsters of all ages will do their best to get away with anything they are allowed to, and if retailers sell them prohibited beverag
I was appalled to read that youngsters are allowed to buy alcohol (Broadcast, November 6).
Any parent will tell you that youngsters of all ages will do their best to get away with anything they are allowed to, and if retailers sell them prohibited beverages, children will buy with absolute certainty.
It is this kind of behaviour that promotes 'binge drinking' when the youngsters are old enough to buy alcohol legally, and the problems of drunken youths - of both sexes - roaming
our streets causing havoc and mayhem are well documented.
Your report says a fixed penalty notice was issued. Unfortunately, if the amount of profit the retailer makes from selling this under-age alcohol is more than the amount he was fined, it would be in his financial interest to keep selling to youngsters.
I trust Essex County Council will keep a very close eye on the retailer involved and if he is caught repeating the offence it will not only be a hefty fine but a revocation of his licence.
- 1 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
- 2 RideLondon 5 year plan: 900 object to district road closures
- 3 New speed check groups to start: Rayne duo share experiences
- 4 New Mayors and deputies in Saffron Walden and Great Dunmow
- 5 The Silver Wolf, highest Scouting honour, for Neville Wilson
- 6 243 Takeley homes granted outline approval despite concerns
- 7 Emergency bananas rescue man's 875-mile solo cycle challenge
- 8 Met Office weather: Yellow storm and flood warning for East of England
- 9 Great Dunmow and High Easter take centre stage as Women's Tour of Britain hits town
- 10 Man dies at the scene of A120 'incident'
It will also act as a deterrent to other retailers, which the council has not yet caught, that they should not commit this crime.
Name and address supplied