Low paid jobs for youngsters
I REFER to the letter of Ashley Riley (of BAA) regarding the construction of a second runway at Stansted Airport. A second runway at Stansted will bring 13,000 jobs to the region, eh? Sounds great! Thirteen thousand jobs for baggage handlers, shop assista
I REFER to the letter of Ashley Riley (of BAA) regarding the construction of a second runway at Stansted Airport.
A second runway at Stansted will bring 13,000 jobs to the region, eh? Sounds great! Thirteen thousand jobs for baggage handlers, shop assistants and people wiping tables in cafés. Cool - that'll give our young people enough wages to pay their mortgages.
And if you want to be a car park attendant, you're in luck as there will be more than 77,000 car parking spaces provided at the expanded airport.
I don't suppose I will never be able to leave Harlow again via Junction 7 of the M11 with the gridlock that results from all those extra vehicles on the road network. Still, that's okay just as long as there are 13,000 low-paid jobs.
You may also want to watch:
Thank you, Mr Riley. You make it sound like all our Christmases have come at once.
Angela Kurton, Spring Hills, Harlow
- 1 Man fined for driving to Dunmow to exercise dog
- 2 Try this: MasterChef winner Chef Webb's recipe for roasted chicken supreme
- 3 Tributes are paid to much loved vet Stephen Flood
- 4 Saffron Walden constituency MP on the road map out of lockdown
- 5 Eve creates cerebral palsy awareness stamps
- 6 Farm wins best Pick Your Own category in awards
- 7 Another award for Old Park Meadow
- 8 Two dogs stolen as Uttlesford dog owners voice concern
- 9 Containerlift supports laughter and supply chains
- 10 Co-op windows are smashed and cigarettes stolen