Low paid jobs for youngsters
I REFER to the letter of Ashley Riley (of BAA) regarding the construction of a second runway at Stansted Airport. A second runway at Stansted will bring 13,000 jobs to the region, eh? Sounds great! Thirteen thousand jobs for baggage handlers, shop assista
I REFER to the letter of Ashley Riley (of BAA) regarding the construction of a second runway at Stansted Airport.
A second runway at Stansted will bring 13,000 jobs to the region, eh? Sounds great! Thirteen thousand jobs for baggage handlers, shop assistants and people wiping tables in cafés. Cool - that'll give our young people enough wages to pay their mortgages.
And if you want to be a car park attendant, you're in luck as there will be more than 77,000 car parking spaces provided at the expanded airport.
I don't suppose I will never be able to leave Harlow again via Junction 7 of the M11 with the gridlock that results from all those extra vehicles on the road network. Still, that's okay just as long as there are 13,000 low-paid jobs.
You may also want to watch:
Thank you, Mr Riley. You make it sound like all our Christmases have come at once.
Angela Kurton, Spring Hills, Harlow
- 1 Plan for 30 Dunmow homes rejected by councillors
- 2 Debut Dunmow festival set for sellout success
- 3 Dunmow store transforms with new wedding and prom focus
- 4 Two injured in Hatfield Broad Oak crash
- 5 Revealed: images of new hospital that aims to be carbon neutral
- 6 Four birthday cakes as Florence celebrates her 105th birthday
- 7 Life change of direction for owners of new Felsted cafe
- 8 Parkrun is back - runners urged to maintain social distancing
- 9 Motorcyclist in hospital after Broxted collision
- 10 Pair jailed for causing horror crash that injured 19