Higher train fares
I WAS amused at your report (August 7) that National Express reported a dip in passenger numbers and that there had been a softening in demand on their Stansted Express service. You also mention that Ryanair/easyJet would be reducing flights – that i
I WAS amused at your report (August 7) that National Express reported a 'dip in passenger numbers' and that there had been a 'softening in demand' on their Stansted Express service.
You also mention that Ryanair/easyJet would be reducing flights - that is in the future and will add to the reduction in numbers travelling on this 'service.'
The real reason for the dip in passenger numbers is that NE introduced a new fare structure on May 18. I have been in correspondence with them since that date to clarify the situation, as the staff at Stansted station had a different interpretation of the new fares structure to the Head Office of NE, and to the website.
After two months of conflicting advice I can confirm that NE 'sneaked in' a considerable increase in fares, without any publicity, by eliminating cheap returns to London. They have now confirmed that this was done because they consider it a premium service (what a laugh) and that 'only time will tell whether this is the correct decision' - their words not mine!
You may also want to watch:
Commuters - use Bishop's Stortford or Harlow, they still have 'cheap' returns and you may still catch the Stansted Express as it stops at these stations! What a way to run a business.
Brian Clifton, Cuckoos, Great Canfield
- 1 Dunmow and Stansted councillors not in new Essex County Council cabinet
- 2 New Dunmow and Barnston vicar thanks community for their warm welcome
- 3 Man sentenced after admitting two charges of sexual assault
- 4 TSB closes Dunmow branch
- 5 Prisoner of war camp a 'huge part' of Essex's history
- 6 Lockdown eases: new mayor and new Priest join drive-in concert
- 7 Uttlesford District Council chief executive is stepping down
- 8 Prison sentence extended for man involved in Dunmow attack
- 9 Summer art competition for children launched by school
- 10 Is former Love Island star Carl Woods moving to Bardfield?