Experience IWM Duxford as the sun goes down at August after-hours flying evening
- Credit: Gerry Weatherhead
Aviation enthusiasts will be able to experience flying at IWM Duxford after hours at a special August Bank Holiday weekend event.
The museum in Cambridgeshire will be hosting Flying Evenings: After Hours on Saturday, August 28.
Visitors will be able to watch a spectacular evening aerial display as the sun goes down over the historic airfield.
From camera-ready flypast moments to enjoying refreshments on a lazy Saturday summer’s evening, you will see IWM Duxford in a whole new light.
Among the aircraft scheduled to fly are Flying Fortress 'Sally B' , the last remaining airworthy B-17 in Europe, a couple of Spitfires, a Curtiss P-40F Warhawk, Spanish fighter Hispano HA-112 MIL Buchón, the de Havilland DH89 Dragon Rapide, and Hawker Hurricane P3717, a Battle of Britain veteran.
You may also want to watch:
Gates open at 5pm and AirSpace and Hangar 4 will remain open during the event.
Tickets are on sale now via the Duxford website at www.iwm.org.uk/airshows/events
Last Wednesday's August 11 Flying Days: Showtime was designed for younger Duxford fans and their families.
- 1 A12 upgrade: 'The people who live here are not being considered'
- 2 Flexi parking ticket rolled out for hybrid commuters
- 3 Man dies after Roxwell collision, police confirm
- 4 Hatfield Heath air disaster memorial 'a symbol of UK-US unity'
- 5 Helena Romanes homes plan 'harmful urbanisation' says council
- 6 Moth night celebrates Dunmow's autumn biodiversity
- 7 Pedestrian dies following Dunmow collision
- 8 Saffron Walden actress Tamara Lee Smart to star as Marilyn Monroe for one night in rehearsed play reading
- 9 Cash boost for plan to plant 350,000 trees in Essex
- 10 Thaxted Gardening and Craft Show winners revealed
While visitors could see reenactors on the ground and the NHS Spitfire up close on static display, there wasn't much flying to enjoy with only the North American Harvard, Yakovlev Yak-50, and Mudry CAP 10 taking to the skies.
Another Duxford flying day, Young Aviators, takes place at the IWM site on Thursday, August 19.