Hands up against night flights
I AM writing in response to the front page article Campaign takes off to ban night-flights on October 29. As I said in the article, we had an interesting time thanks to the councillors, with the main foci being environmental and safety issues in Uttlesf
I AM writing in response to the front page article "Campaign takes off to ban night-flights" on October 29.
As I said in the article, we had an interesting time thanks to the councillors, with the main foci being environmental and safety issues in Uttlesford.
Many questions were raised by the children, but the issues regarding airport noise pollution were raised by Cllr Foley himself.
At the end of the afternoon, Year 5 pupils, as part of a dialogue, were asked by Cllr Foley if they were ever annoyed about night-flights and 95 per cent of them put their hands up.
I do feel it is necessary to clarify to your readers that, although one or two children commented on their experiences, no conclusions were drawn, as suggested by the headline in the paper. Cllr Foley and I agree that the views of the children at Thaxted Primary School are not that all night-flights should be banned.
We will be discussing the pros and cons of night-flights, the airport expansion and much more as part of our project work on environmental issues and I am sure the children will form their own views on this topical debate.
- 1 243 Takeley homes granted outline approval despite concerns
- 2 Stebbing Tractor Run: This is the new route for 2022
- 3 110 homes near Stansted Airport: design and details approved
- 4 Life-saving kit that residents hope they will never use
- 5 10,000 signatures reached against Essex mega-prison proposal
- 6 Dunmow pilots airlift medical aid to help Ukraine
- 7 Major supermarkets order urgent product recalls over salmonella fears
- 8 Man dies at the scene of A120 'incident'
- 9 Recap: A120 reopens near Stansted Airport after 'police incident'
- 10 Things to do in Essex this June
We will be inviting Cllr Foley to take part in any future debates and presentations of the views of Year 5 at Thaxted Primary School and thank him and Cllr Wattebot once again for their visit.
Miss K Wiseman
Assistant headteacher Thaxted Primary School
- Editor's note: The headline on the article referred to the fact that policymakers at Uttlesford District Council are in talks over cutting night flights at Stansted Airport.