I WAS fascinated to discover in the Guardian that new academic research shows CO2 emissions generated by shipping are twice that of global aviation, and growing at an even faster rate. Shipping is often heralded as the green alternative to flying – for
I WAS fascinated to discover in the Guardian that new academic research shows CO2 emissions generated by shipping are twice that of global aviation, and growing at an even faster rate.
Shipping is often heralded as the 'green' alternative to flying - for both goods and passengers. This latest study puts pay to that theory.
Many local anti-airport campaigners have latched onto the climate change debate as a means of opposition - it provides a convenient cover to the charge of nimbyism. But if you want to find a solution to an international problem, you cannot just suggest Stansted's expansion is at the heart of the issue.
The real challenge we face is in the fast developing economies of India, China, Russia and Brazil. But, as Sir Nicholas Stern stated in his recent review, a balance must be found to achieve the best solution globally, and this means we need an effective, international emissions trading scheme to be established.
You may also want to watch:
Massive problems exist with energy production, industry, road transport and domestic emissions. Livestock, staggeringly, accounts for 18 per cent of all global greenhouse gases. What is being done to tackle these?
Wrongly picking on one industry just won't solve anything.
- 1 Katie Price's alleged attacker re-bailed into November, police confirm
- 2 Fond farewell to Sweetland's butchers after 69 years in the trade
- 3 Revealed: why some Uttlesford car park machines no longer take cash
- 4 Wethersfield to house nearly 3,500 prisoners in government plan
- 5 Creamfields Chelmsford 2022 tickets to go on sale this month
- 6 Emergency funding for Essex care homes amid 'acute' staff shortages
- 7 Scouts jamboree fun covers radio skills to Morse Code
- 8 Full house success: Great Dunmow's Last Night of the Proms
- 9 Pets' Corner: Ben Fogle's plea over Bonfire Night
- 10 Chelmsford bypass 'could provide strategic link' to Stansted Airport
Woodlands Park Drive