Future of Clarence House is safe
WITH reference to your recent article about fears of closure for Clarence House in Thaxted, I have sought reassurance from Cllr Iris Pummell, who is cabinet member with responsibility for libraries and adult education. She points out that irrespective of
WITH reference to your recent article about fears of closure for Clarence House in Thaxted, I have sought reassurance from Cllr Iris Pummell, who is cabinet member with responsibility for libraries and adult education.
She points out that irrespective of adult education attendance, as the library was moved to Clarence House, she has no intention of closing it.
With regards adult education, two key points need to be made. First, the Government is insisting that students must pay at least 50 per cent of the course costs by 2010. This means fees will have to be gradually increased to meet that requirement.
In addition, funding allocation to the county council from the Learning and Skills Council has fallen by an average of 10 per cent over the past two years and this places extra budget strains on the service, meaning less money has to go further, and is one of the reasons for the present review.
I suggest the LibDems direct their concerns to the Labour government that squeezes the provision of local services and not to an efficiently run Conservative county council.
Cllr Simon Walsh
- 1 Creamfields South 2023 festival dates announced for Hylands Park
- 2 Grange Farm and Dunmow Runners make the most of the summer sun
- 3 Town's annual meeting: Dr's Pond, RideLondon, parking issues
- 4 Can you complete the Census 2021 map game?
- 5 Aythorpe Roding earn welcome win, seven-up for Dunmow
- 6 KidzFair in Great Dunmow was a huge success for young entrepreneurs
- 7 What I Learnt From My Grandmother in photographs and banners
- 8 Pictures: The Great Dunmow Summer Solstice Sundown Festival
- 9 Ben & Jerry's ice cream sold at Sainsbury's recalled due to health concerns
- 10 Stansted Airport and Cambridge trains disrupted after tree falls on tracks
County Councillor for Thaxted