Future of Clarence House is safe
WITH reference to your recent article about fears of closure for Clarence House in Thaxted, I have sought reassurance from Cllr Iris Pummell, who is cabinet member with responsibility for libraries and adult education. She points out that irrespective of
WITH reference to your recent article about fears of closure for Clarence House in Thaxted, I have sought reassurance from Cllr Iris Pummell, who is cabinet member with responsibility for libraries and adult education.
She points out that irrespective of adult education attendance, as the library was moved to Clarence House, she has no intention of closing it.
With regards adult education, two key points need to be made. First, the Government is insisting that students must pay at least 50 per cent of the course costs by 2010. This means fees will have to be gradually increased to meet that requirement.
In addition, funding allocation to the county council from the Learning and Skills Council has fallen by an average of 10 per cent over the past two years and this places extra budget strains on the service, meaning less money has to go further, and is one of the reasons for the present review.
I suggest the LibDems direct their concerns to the Labour government that squeezes the provision of local services and not to an efficiently run Conservative county council.
Cllr Simon Walsh
- 1 Plan B measures to be scrapped across England
- 2 Fight breaks out near Great Notley as man reportedly seen with a gun
- 3 Essex Young Farmers celebrate Plough Sunday with Thaxted tractor run
- 4 Penalty save and late winner moves High Easter up the table
- 5 Proposed law which sparked Saffron Walden protests suffers House of Lords defeat
- 6 Sunday's event for the 100 year anniversary of village hall
- 7 Things to do in Essex February 2022
- 8 'We must learn to live with Covid' says health secretary on Plan B's end
- 9 Pets' Corner news: Winter Walkies for St Clare
- 10 Fears that Covid may cause Essex hospital staffing to get ‘very difficult’
County Councillor for Thaxted