Future of Clarence House is safe
WITH reference to your recent article about fears of closure for Clarence House in Thaxted, I have sought reassurance from Cllr Iris Pummell, who is cabinet member with responsibility for libraries and adult education. She points out that irrespective of
WITH reference to your recent article about fears of closure for Clarence House in Thaxted, I have sought reassurance from Cllr Iris Pummell, who is cabinet member with responsibility for libraries and adult education.
She points out that irrespective of adult education attendance, as the library was moved to Clarence House, she has no intention of closing it.
With regards adult education, two key points need to be made. First, the Government is insisting that students must pay at least 50 per cent of the course costs by 2010. This means fees will have to be gradually increased to meet that requirement.
In addition, funding allocation to the county council from the Learning and Skills Council has fallen by an average of 10 per cent over the past two years and this places extra budget strains on the service, meaning less money has to go further, and is one of the reasons for the present review.
You may also want to watch:
I suggest the LibDems direct their concerns to the Labour government that squeezes the provision of local services and not to an efficiently run Conservative county council.
Cllr Simon Walsh
- 1 Bar staff smash £1,000 target in charity challenge
- 2 Dunmow's Flitch and Chips named as one of the UK's 10 best
- 3 Super six for High Easter as they turn on the style against Coggeshall Town youngsters
- 4 More work needed ahead of holiday easing, Stansted says
- 5 Survey reveals Uttlesford fears of fourth national Covid lockdown
- 6 Care at home: what is it, and how can it help?
- 7 Take away Covid self tests from Thaxted library
- 8 Stansted author to release second novel
- 9 Things to do on the May Bank Holiday weekend: Essex gardens are open
- 10 Ram-raid gang member absconds from Suffolk jail
County Councillor for Thaxted