Dunmow eatery is the first cafe to receive Uttlesford District Council gold award
A DUNMOW cafe has succeeded in becoming the first establishment in Uttlesfield to receive a healthy eating gold award.
To qualify for the district council’s silver or gold award, eateries must make the effort to offer healthy food, or at least healthy options - and The Tea Tree near the Doctors Pond has done just that.
Owner Debbie Ghosh explained that the recognition of healthy eating is a side effect rather than an aim of the business.
She said: “As a former fitness instructor and a mother, healthy eating is important to me.
“I think there are, broadly, two types of restaurant: those that aim to have purely healthy food and those that sell cakes and other sweet snacks. I think our cafe is a bit of both.
“I really enjoy selling the cakes and they seem to be very popular but I also want to sell healthy food and drinks.”
Mrs Ghosh was aware of the award and aimed to achieve the silver standard, but realised that with just a few slight changes to the menu The Tea Tree had the potential to win the more prestigious gold standard. Among other criteria, fifty per cent of the menu was deemed as ‘healthy’ by council inspectors.
- 1 RideLondon 5 year plan: 900 object to district road closures
- 2 Iceland offers over 60s discount on shopping bill every week
- 3 New Mayors and deputies in Saffron Walden and Great Dunmow
- 4 Great Dunmow and High Easter take centre stage as Women's Tour of Britain hits town
- 5 A giant snail, sporting success and other school news
- 6 Home county tenant exodus drives up London rents
- 7 Met Office weather: Yellow storm and flood warning for East of England
- 8 Beer from Lidl and vegan chocolates among items recalled over safety fears
- 9 110 homes near Stansted Airport: design and details approved
- 10 243 Takeley homes granted outline approval despite concerns
The Tea Tree still serves all the same food but the ‘less healthy’ options are on the boards. The cafe was also required to provide two ‘healthy option’ promotions a year.
This summer the cafe is offering any salad and smoothie for �6. It is open every day from 10am-5pm.