Dunmow eatery is the first cafe to receive Uttlesford District Council gold award
A DUNMOW cafe has succeeded in becoming the first establishment in Uttlesfield to receive a healthy eating gold award.
To qualify for the district council’s silver or gold award, eateries must make the effort to offer healthy food, or at least healthy options - and The Tea Tree near the Doctors Pond has done just that.
Owner Debbie Ghosh explained that the recognition of healthy eating is a side effect rather than an aim of the business.
She said: “As a former fitness instructor and a mother, healthy eating is important to me.
“I think there are, broadly, two types of restaurant: those that aim to have purely healthy food and those that sell cakes and other sweet snacks. I think our cafe is a bit of both.
“I really enjoy selling the cakes and they seem to be very popular but I also want to sell healthy food and drinks.”
Mrs Ghosh was aware of the award and aimed to achieve the silver standard, but realised that with just a few slight changes to the menu The Tea Tree had the potential to win the more prestigious gold standard. Among other criteria, fifty per cent of the menu was deemed as ‘healthy’ by council inspectors.
- 1 Olympic gold medallist Beth Shriever switches on Finchingfield's Christmas tree lights
- 2 Bardfield cottage transformed into scrumptious-looking gingerbread house for Christmas
- 3 First Sunday in December marked with Live Nativity in Great Dunmow
- 4 Here are the new Covid travel rules which begin today
- 5 Man arrested on suspicion of terrorism offences at Stansted Airport
- 6 Items from Lidl and Sainsbury's recalled over health and safety concerns
- 7 Braintree investment leads to questions about Witham
- 8 Essex buildings are lit up in green for awareness campaign
- 9 'Massive' headliners set to be announced for Creamfields South Chelmsford 2022 line-up
- 10 Chelmsford: Safety improvements planned at roundabout after Thaxted man dies
The Tea Tree still serves all the same food but the ‘less healthy’ options are on the boards. The cafe was also required to provide two ‘healthy option’ promotions a year.
This summer the cafe is offering any salad and smoothie for �6. It is open every day from 10am-5pm.