Do not mock the homeless
THE reaction by your readers regarding last weeks article Camp in the Wood will be all too predictable. However, although the average man will spare a few pennies for cruelty to animals or children (mainly to relieve his conscience) few will have a good
THE reaction by your readers regarding last weeks article 'Camp in the Wood' will be all too predictable.
However, although the average man will spare a few pennies for cruelty to animals or children (mainly to relieve his conscience) few will have a good word for the many homeless who don't officially exist.
These days local government stands and falls on its statistics and I can assure you that it's very much 'out of sight out of mind'.
For the past nine years it has been my privilege to help run a hostel in Harlow with a curious mix of the mentally imbalanced/depressed, alcoholic, drug addicted, ex-cons, bankrupt, abused or simply abandoned by their family.
You may also want to watch:
Many of these people would have lived in mental homes a few years back.
Theirs is a dark, often violent world where illegal substances are the only way to suppress their obvious distress.
- 1 TSB closes Dunmow branch
- 2 Dunmow and Stansted councillors not in new Essex County Council cabinet
- 3 New Dunmow and Barnston vicar thanks community for their warm welcome
- 4 New cycle network consultation announced
- 5 Lockdown eases: new mayor and new Priest join drive-in concert
- 6 Prison sentence extended for man involved in Dunmow attack
- 7 New on-call firefighters have joined stations
- 8 Local Elections 2021: Essex County Council results for Uttlesford
- 9 Outgoing mayor reflects on 'a Covid year' in office as he steps down
- 10 Uttlesford's shops still suffer from low footfall, Google data shows
I can assure you that once you hit rock bottom it's a long way back. Not everyone is so strong they will bounce back.
For those with criminal records especially it is almost impossible to get a job. Also no home - no job (the two go together).
So please, do not mock these people - try to show some genuine human kindness.
There but for the grace of God go I...
Kevin Moss, Great Dunmow