THE COMMITTEE report from the council s officers for the November 29 meeting was published on Tuesday, November 21. It contains a recommendation to committee members. It will be down to councillors to decide at the meeting whether to accept the recommenda
THE COMMITTEE report from the council's officers for the November 29 meeting was published on Tuesday, November 21.
It contains a recommendation to committee members. It will be down to councillors to decide at the meeting whether to accept the recommendation.
I have heard rumours about how this might play out, the council caving in and agreeing to the application or refusing it and sparking a major national debate on issues such as climate change.' We will all know a bit more in a couple of days' time. What is guaranteed is controversy.
There was an interview with Prime Minister Tony Blair in the Independent newspaper. 'Put it (aviation) in the European Emissions Trading System, that's the single most important thing you could do. But the danger is that if we prevent people in Britain taking cheap flights, and people in Europe were still able to, you wouldn't make a great deal of difference except making travel a lot harder for low income families'.
You may also want to watch:
So the Prime Minister doesn't want to limit poorer families from flying. But they don't fly much anyway, according to last week's report from the CAA.
He clearly won't be able to restrict better off families from flying. So what's the point of Emissions Trading if it has no effect on the escalation of greenhouse gas emissions from more and more aeroplane journeys? Smoke, carbon and mirrors, I suggest!
- 1 Uttlesford faces 'house building assault', says leader
- 2 Garden restoration project joy after public appeal help
- 3 Gold filling 'worth about £50' found in Tesco granola squares pack
- 4 Incredible undefeated season at first time of asking for Dunmow Rovers U7 Tigers
- 5 In pictures: Post box knitting celebrates Tokyo 2020 Olympics and Tom Daley
- 6 Shooting star: Coward-Holley's road to Tokyo 2020
- 7 EA Festival debut: New festival quenches region's 'thirst for culture'
- 8 Beth Shriever talks Tokyo: 'I'm proof that you can make it'
- 9 Ipswich man to face trial for Braintree car theft and Cheshunt rail incident
- 10 Former Felsted schoolboy who broke back twice wins Tokyo bronze
Cllr Alan Dean, Airport Advisory Panel chairman, Uttlesford District Council