Two dogs injured in Great Dunmow - owners warn other pet owners and families to watch for barbed wire. WARNING: GRAPHIC CONTENT. Some dog injury pictures may cause upset
PUBLISHED: 14:00 22 May 2020 | UPDATED: 16:27 22 May 2020
Two Great Dunmow residents whose dogs were both injured on barbed wire are calling for awareness so that other pets - and even children - are not injured.
Angeline Wilson’s Border Terrier Rocky, seven, was injured when his chest was sliced open by barbed wire, on land that backs on to Brick Kiln Drive in Great Dunmow.
And Indrek Tehva’s eight month old Alsatian Lily had a bleeding ear and has been left with a scar, after coming into contact with wire in the same area, which was lying on the ground.
Both pet owners have told the Broadcast they are worried someone else will get hurt.
Angeline said she was shocked the wire was there, and luckily the out of hours vet was able to repair the wound with veterinary staples rather than stitches.
“It could have been an awful lot worse.” She added: “I’m worried about children and wildlife.”
Indrek said he noticed his dog Lily was struggling on something - she managed to get free and he then realised it was wire and the dog had a cut ear.
“It was really badly bleeding all the way home. Even when it clotted, when she shook her head, it opened the wound.”
His wife cleaned Lily’s ear with disinfectant. Indrek now keeps Lily on a lead in the area.
Despite enquiries, ownership of the land is unknown.
If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Dunmow Broadcast. Click the link in the orange box above for details.