Volunteer shortages have put Great Dunmow carnival procession at risk of cancellation

PUBLISHED: 09:00 13 January 2017 | UPDATED: 14:36 17 January 2017

Keith Wheatcroft, chairman of the Procession Committee

Keith Wheatcroft, chairman of the Procession Committee

Archant

A desperate plea to save the carnival procession has been made to the people of Dunmow this week, which is at serious risk of collapsing without any volunteers to organise it.

Dunmow carnival queen and princesses Dunmow carnival queen and princesses

Without an influx of willing volunteers, double the number currently helping, there is an imminent danger that there will be no procession in the summer.

The Procession Committee is now only five people strong, but around ten people are needed for it to function properly.

Although this committee is linked to the carnival, it is a separate entity - so there would still be the famous fair, but without any floats to go around the town.

Since it was set up in 1952 there has been a carnival procession every year – it would break a nearly 70 year old tradition.

Cadets at the Dunmow Carnival Cadets at the Dunmow Carnival

This committee does not just focus on the Dunmow procession, but the princesses and queen chosen also make an appearance at carnivals around the county, including Braintree, Brightlingsea, Witham, Coggeshall, Maldon, Clacton and Burnham-on-Sea.

The first carnival is on June 10, Dunmow’s is on September 16, and the last is later still - therefore it is more than a one-event job, and the committee meet once a week.

Keith Wheatcroft, who has been chair of the committee for around ten years, said he believes the procession is valued by the town.

He said: “Apathy is involved – it’s not that people don’t like it, people do like it, but no-one is prepared to do anything about it, and we’re desperately needing new members on our procession committee.

“I would be shattered if it stopped, devastated, but if that’s what is going to happen then that’s what’s going to happen, because we need the committee –the procession won’t run on it’s own.”

There has also been a dwindling of young girls who would like to be the queen or one of her princesses in the procession, he said, with only around seven applicants last year compared to around twenty in the past.

He encourages any girls between nine and 14 who would like to be princesses, or any over 14 who might like to be queens, to take part in the selection evening at 7pm on March 24 in the Dourdan Pavillion. The theme is Dunmow Through the Ages.

For more information, contact Keith on 01371 875300, or email wheaters@talktalk.net

0 comments

Welcome , please leave your message below.

Optional - JPG files only
Optional - MP3 files only
Optional - 3GP, AVI, MOV, MPG or WMV files
Comments

Please log in to leave a comment and share your views with other Dunmow Broadcast visitors.

We enable people to post comments with the aim of encouraging open debate.

Only people who register and sign up to our terms and conditions can post comments. These terms and conditions explain our house rules and legal guidelines.

Comments are not edited by Dunmow Broadcast staff prior to publication but may be automatically filtered.

If you have a complaint about a comment please contact us by clicking on the Report This Comment button next to the comment.

Not a member yet?

Register to create your own unique Dunmow Broadcast account for free.

Signing up is free, quick and easy and offers you the chance to add comments, personalise the site with local information picked just for you, and more.

Sign up now

More news stories

Thu, 15:31

Officers are appealing for information after a woman reported being assaulted in Saffron Walden on May 18.

Thu, 11:40

No patients died as a result of winter ambulance delays, analysis has said - but three people did suffer severe harm.

Thu, 09:52

An application to build 20 homes in Takeley, separated “just 20 metres” from Hatfield Forest has been granted, despite the National Trust saying the number of visitors is already “unsustainable” and that further development close to the forest could damage the ancient woodland.

Thu, 08:50

A 19-year-old man suspected of terrorism offences has been arrested in Bishop’s Stortford.

Digital Edition

Image
Read the Dunmow Broadcast e-edition E-edition

Most read stories

Newsletter Sign Up

Dunmow Broadcast weekly newsletter
Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter