Tories suspend Dunmow councillor from Uttlesford Conservative group

12:29 15 August 2014

Cllr Keith Mackman

Cllr Keith Mackman

Archant

Conservative councillors have voted to suspend their colleague for six months after accusing him of “continually undermining the council”.

Councillor Keith Mackman, member for Dunmow South, was suspended from his group on Thursday night. Despite the blow, he has vowed to continue to support the wishes of his electorate, even if it means going against his party’s decisions.

He told the Reporter: “I think it is pathetic. Being suspended means nothing to me. I plan to continue to represent the residents of Uttlesford the same way I have done for the past three years.

“This is what I was elected to do, 
I understand what I was elected to do and I fully intend to continue doing it.”

The exclusion from the group comes after Cllr Mackman 
publicly criticised a number of decisions made by the group and the council.

He voted against the emerging draft Local Plan and was horrified when the council refused to support the planning committee’s decision 
to turn down a proposal from 800 homes between Elsenham and Henham, at appeal.

He said: “I think the feelings of constituents are more important than complying with the group’s policies.”

Cllr Mackman, a member of the planning committee, spoke out last month against a decision to limit the number of public speakers at planning meetings.

“As far as I am concerned if 100 people turn up to speak we should listen to all of them,” he added. “They have given up their time to be there and they are not being paid for it like us.”

A spokesman for the Conservative group said: “It was agreed at 
the Uttlesford Conservative Group meeting on the August 7 that Dunmow South Councillor Keith Mackman be suspended for six months.

“This was a democratic decision agreed by the members present and relates to Cllr Mackman continually undermining the council and his colleagues.

“The Conservatives at Uttlesford are keen to draw a line under the issue and move forward collectively to the elections in 2015 where candidates will campaign vigorously to ensure the work of the last seven years is continued.”

0 comments

Welcome , please leave your message below.

Optional - JPG files only
Optional - MP3 files only
Optional - 3GP, AVI, MOV, MPG or WMV files
Comments

Please log in to leave a comment and share your views with other Dunmow Broadcast visitors.

We enable people to post comments with the aim of encouraging open debate.

Only people who register and sign up to our terms and conditions can post comments. These terms and conditions explain our house rules and legal guidelines.

Comments are not edited by Dunmow Broadcast staff prior to publication but may be automatically filtered.

If you have a complaint about a comment please contact us by clicking on the Report This Comment button next to the comment.

Not a member yet?

Register to create your own unique Dunmow Broadcast account for free.

Signing up is free, quick and easy and offers you the chance to add comments, personalise the site with local information picked just for you, and more.

Sign up now

More news stories

Casual Father

While I wouldn’t class Elizabeth as fully mobile yet, look away for 30 seconds and she’ll be off her play mat and travelling backwards under the nearest couch.

Yesterday, 11:57
Tearing up L plate after passing driving test

A determined learner driver from the area has taken 20 driving tests but still not passed.

Yesterday, 09:56
Memorial plaque at Essex Police HQ for serving dogs

Retired police dogs in Essex will be first in the country to receive a medal at the end of their loyal service.

Yesterday, 07:00
Marzena Makarewicz, of Mountfitchet Castle, Stansted with the remaining collection boxes

Three collection boxes were stolen from Mountfitchet Castle in Stansted at the weekend in a theft described by the owner as “sickening”.

Digital Edition

Image
Read the Dunmow Broadcast e-edition E-edition

Most read stories

Newsletter Sign Up