Teenager is sentenced to five years behind bars after launching ‘terrifying’ attack on Dunmow store manager

PUBLISHED: 13:51 14 June 2017 | UPDATED: 14:45 14 June 2017

Dunmow Co-op. Picture: SAFFRON PHOTO

Dunmow Co-op. Picture: SAFFRON PHOTO

SaffronPhoto 2016

A teenager who shoplifted from a Dunmow convenience store before attacking its manager in a ‘terrifying and traumatic’ episode has been sentenced to five years in prison.

Daniel Rudkin. Picture: ESSEX POLICEDaniel Rudkin. Picture: ESSEX POLICE

Daniel Rudkin, 19, of The Causeway, pleaded guilty to one count of theft and one count of assaulting a person thereby occasioning them actual bodily harm ahead of his appearance at Chelmsford Crown Court on June 14.

The court heard Rudkin took two bottles of vodka from The Co-op Food, in White Street, on February 18 this year before he was followed into the car park by customer team leader, Kevin Barry.

Michael Crimp, prosecuting, said: “Mr Barry noticed the defendant picked up pace and started running and laughing out loud. Mr Barry ran behind him and grabbed one of the bottles with the intention to get it back.

“As he grabs it the defendant spun round and raised the other bottle above his head and said ‘want me to do you?’.”

Rudkin then launched the bottle at Mr Barry, who was able to dodge it, and started punching him in the chest and head.

The court heard both men ended up on the ground, with Rudkin reportedly biting the manager near his ear and trying to get him into a headlock.

“Mr Barry started to panic and thought he was going to be strangled. He used the vodka bottle to hit the defendant’s head to try and stop him and hit him two or three times before it smashed.”

Rudkin began walking away, but decided to return moments later to punch Mr Barry and press his thumbs into his eyes.

The manager was taken to hospital where he received 14 stitches near his ear.

In mitigation, Sasha Bailey said Rudkin had previously been diagnosed with a personality disorder but that he was taking medication.

She added that Rudkin has recently “connected with faith” and that he is remorseful.

His Honour Judge David Turner QC said: “This was a man who had gone to work that morning to do his job for the people of Dunmow and did it effectively and courageously.

“By that evening he had been through an utterly terrifying and traumatic episode because of your evil conduct.”

Rudkin, who appeared wearing a cross, was sentenced to five years at a young offenders’ institute for the assault, and a month for the theft to run concurrently.

He will serve half of his sentence in custody and the other on licence.


Welcome , please leave your message below.

Optional - JPG files only
Optional - MP3 files only
Optional - 3GP, AVI, MOV, MPG or WMV files

Please log in to leave a comment and share your views with other Dunmow Broadcast visitors.

We enable people to post comments with the aim of encouraging open debate.

Only people who register and sign up to our terms and conditions can post comments. These terms and conditions explain our house rules and legal guidelines.

Comments are not edited by Dunmow Broadcast staff prior to publication but may be automatically filtered.

If you have a complaint about a comment please contact us by clicking on the Report This Comment button next to the comment.

Not a member yet?

Register to create your own unique Dunmow Broadcast account for free.

Signing up is free, quick and easy and offers you the chance to add comments, personalise the site with local information picked just for you, and more.

Sign up now

More news stories

45 minutes ago

Emptying bins and running the recycling service remains the most important priority for Uttlesford District Council, according to residents who completed a recent survey.

A former police officer based in Essex has been found guilty of gross misconduct after having a sexually explicit conversation with a convicted paedophile and failing to report it.

Nearly 400 students and staff members at Great Dunmow Primary School formed a giant poppy, which could be seen from the skies, to finish a week of remembrance.

To mark 100 years since the end of the First World War, members of the Dunmow U3A signed a book of condolence, remembering family and friends who had died in active service, before laying a wreath at the town’s war memorial.

Digital Edition

Read the Dunmow Broadcast e-edition E-edition

Most read stories

Newsletter Sign Up

Dunmow Broadcast weekly newsletter
Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter

Our Privacy Policy