Saffron Walden’s Tory MP Sir Alan Haselhurst will stand at the next General Election

11:16 14 February 2014

Sir Alan Haselhurst, MP for Saffron Walden.

Sir Alan Haselhurst, MP for Saffron Walden.

Archant

Saffron Walden MP Sir Alan Haselhurst will stand in the General Election.

The Executive Committee of the Saffron Walden Constituency Conservative Association (SWCCA) met last night (Thursday, February 13) to re-adopt the Tory candidate for next year.

The 76-year-old will be fighting his 10th election in Saffron Walden, the constituency he has represented since 1977.

Speaking after the meeting, Sir Alan said: “I am delighted to be re-selected and I look forward to fighting the next General Election.

“It has been very heart-warming to hear the amount of vocal support that I’ve had and the party is now united behind me.”

He added: “I have not lost the appetite for the job. It’s a job I have craved since my student days and it’s a job I love doing. I am still determined to try to help people the best I can.

“Whilst everyone will not agree with me, I try to ensure that their views are heard and taken into account.

“I hope that on the big issues for the constituency, I speak up effectively in Parliament and I look forward to continuing to do so.”

Rumours had been circulating about whether he was too old for the job and there were suggestions that he planned to retire.

Sir Alan denied the claims and before last night’s meeting told the Reporter that he had every intention of continuing in his role.

0 comments

More news stories

Police tape outside the One Stop in Elsenham

Essex Police are continuing their appeal for witnesses over the raid at the One Stop in Elsenham on Tuesday (September 1).

Sir Alan Haselhurst MP

There has been a call for Britain to take more Syrian refugees from the MP for Saffron Walden Sir Alan Haselhurst.

Crime Scene Dunmow

Residents were left shocked after a man was shot by police in North Street near Dunmow town centre on Tuesday night (September 1).

Yesterday, 15:35

Essex police are urging van owners to remove high value tools from vehicles overnight after two further Ford Transits were targeted in Stansted.

Digital Edition

Image
Read the Dunmow Broadcast e-edition today E-edition

Most read stories