Resident’s fear after attack on man in pub

PUBLISHED: 07:55 19 January 2006 | UPDATED: 20:09 28 May 2010

A NEIGHBOUR has spoken of her concern about an assault in a pub after nearby residents had opposed an extension to its licensing hours. Anne Filkin, who lives in East Street, Saffron Walden believed the 12.30am Sunday attack on a 24-year-old Norfolk man i

A NEIGHBOUR has spoken of her concern about an assault in a pub after nearby residents had opposed an extension to its licensing hours.

Anne Filkin, who lives in East Street, Saffron Walden believed the 12.30am Sunday attack on a 24-year-old Norfolk man in the Queen Elizabeth in Fairycroft Road might not have happened if the application had been refused.

He suffered cuts and grazes when he was hit on the head by a glass thrown by another customer.

She said: "Well, it would concern me."

But she felt the licensing changes had not made the problems with anti-social behaviour any worse because there were fewer people hanging around outside after closing time.

"I just have not seen so many people hanging about outside as there used to be so that is an improvement."

She was among a number of residents living in Fairycroft Road and East Street who had opposed the pub's licensing application.

Uttlesford District Council licensing committee decided to allow the pub to open until midnight in the week and 12.30am on Saturdays.

Most of those opposed to the new licence were worried there would be an increase in noise and late night violence.

Myra Stokeley, joint licensee of the pub with Cindy and Debbie Hare, believed the victim and another man were arguing over a girl when tempers flared and the glass was thrown.

She acknowledged the Queen Elizabeth had experienced drink-related problems in the past, but said Saturday's assault was the first serious incident since she took over 18 months ago.

The other man has been barred from the pub.

"I am not going to tolerate anything like that in the pub so anyone causing problems like that will be barred," she said.

"This is the first incident we have had in the pub and I have dealt with it to the best of my ability and he has been barred," Myra said.

Sgt Paul Glasgow, of Saffron Walden police, said investigations were on-going.

0 comments

More news stories

Yesterday, 14:46

A burglary was committed at a Co-op in Great Bardfield early this morning (November 17).

Yesterday, 00:00

Endurance Estates Strategic Land would like to invite you to attend a public exhibition to discuss their proposals for the development of up to 120 new homes, public open space, and a care home, at Land at Parsonage Road, Takeley.

Fri, 14:53

Emptying bins and running the recycling service remains the most important priority for Uttlesford District Council, according to residents who completed a recent survey.

Fri, 12:45

A former police officer based in Essex has been found guilty of gross misconduct after having a sexually explicit conversation with a convicted paedophile and failing to report it.

Digital Edition

Image
Read the Dunmow Broadcast e-edition E-edition

Most read stories

Newsletter Sign Up

Dunmow Broadcast weekly newsletter
Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter

Our Privacy Policy