October 23 2014 Latest news:
Thursday, July 24, 2014
A mother has said she feels like she has been “slapped in the face” after it was announced that the old Takeley school will reopen – but not in time for her son.
On Tuesday, Essex County Council’s (ECC) cabinet agreed a new 210-place primary school on the old site in the village. However, this will not be open until September 2015.
Parent Cassandra James, of Garnetts, hoped this would come sooner so her son Oliver would be able to attend a local school.
He was refused a place at Takeley Primary School, in Little Canfield, as there was not enough space. Instead, like many other youngsters from ‘Old’ Takeley, he will have to travel to Elsenham each day.
Mrs James, who launched a petition earlier in the year to reopen the old school, said: “We have got what we want but just not quickly enough. It is a bit of a slap in the face but we will just have to run with it. I still do not think there will be enough places because the area is growing bigger and bigger.
“The good thing is that at least children next year will not have to go through what we have had to.”
Mrs James will have the option of applying to transfer her son to the new school, which will be either an academy or free school, next year.
“It is something I will have to look into,” she added. “Elsenham is a lovely little school. So it will depend on how he fits in and whether the friends he has made will be moving.”
The decision to reopen the old school came after forecasts showed that the demand for reception places has increased at a faster rate than originally anticipated.
Essex county councillor Ray Gooding, cabinet member for education and lifelong learning, said: “My cabinet colleagues and I all agreed that a new school is needed in Takeley.
“It is therefore appropriate to open the old school site to ensure the community can attend a local school. Feedback from our consultation showed that the community were supportive of this proposal – so I am sure they will be as pleased as I am with the outcome.”