Fire in Newport home could have been ‘much bigger incident’

PUBLISHED: 08:58 04 June 2018 | UPDATED: 08:58 04 June 2018

Fewer fires reported in Essex

Fewer fires reported in Essex


A smoke alarm may have saved a family in Newport after it alerted them to a fire that started while they were sleeping, fire crews have said.

The homeowners turned the dishwasher on early on Friday morning (June 1) and went back to bed. Around 20 minutes later they woke to hear the smoke alarm going off and discovered that the dishwasher had caught alight.

When crews arrived they found the family safely outside the house and were able to quickly tackle the fire and clear the house of smoke.

Watch Manager Neil Byford, Newport Fire Station, said: “As soon as the homeowners heard the smoke alarm they did the right thing by closing the doors, leaving the house and calling 999.

“Discovering the fire so quickly meant that the smoke damage was limited, and most importantly, the family were unharmed.

“Potentially this could have been a much bigger incident - without a smoke alarm the fire could have spread through the house while the family were sleeping upstairs.

“Smoke alarms save lives. They give you an early warning so you and your family have time to safely get out, stay out and call the fire service out.

“Thankfully more homes are fitted with smoke alarms these days, but we won’t be happy until this is true of 100% of Essex homes. Booking a Home Safety Visit is the easiest way to educate and protect your family.

“It’s also important to remember our electrical safety advice when using white goods - don’t dishwashers, washing machines or tumble dryers at night or while unattended.”

Fire crews from Newport and Saffron Walden attended the property on Wicken Road, Newport around 3.49am on Friday morning (June 1).


Welcome , please leave your message below.

Optional - JPG files only
Optional - MP3 files only
Optional - 3GP, AVI, MOV, MPG or WMV files

Please log in to leave a comment and share your views with other Dunmow Broadcast visitors.

We enable people to post comments with the aim of encouraging open debate.

Only people who register and sign up to our terms and conditions can post comments. These terms and conditions explain our house rules and legal guidelines.

Comments are not edited by Dunmow Broadcast staff prior to publication but may be automatically filtered.

If you have a complaint about a comment please contact us by clicking on the Report This Comment button next to the comment.

Not a member yet?

Register to create your own unique Dunmow Broadcast account for free.

Signing up is free, quick and easy and offers you the chance to add comments, personalise the site with local information picked just for you, and more.

Sign up now

More news stories

Congregation members at Stansted Mountfitchet’s packed memorial service in St John’s Church stood amongst silhouettes of Tommys.

English Heritage’s sell-out event, Enchanted Audley End, is returning to the gardens of the historic property near Saffron Walden this December.

Four years ago, pupils at Rodings Primary School made a poppy to mark the centenary of the beginning of the First World War, and this month they were at it again.

Saturday, November 17, 2018

A burglary was committed at a Co-op in Great Bardfield early this morning (November 17).

Digital Edition

Read the Dunmow Broadcast e-edition E-edition

Most read stories

Newsletter Sign Up

Dunmow Broadcast weekly newsletter
Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter

Our Privacy Policy