Fire caused by electrical fault leaves bungalow in Great Chesterford uninhabitable

PUBLISHED: 11:39 07 February 2018

Firefighters found the fire had started accidentally due to electrics. Picture: Essex Fire

Firefighters found the fire had started accidentally due to electrics. Picture: Essex Fire

Archant

Firefighters were called to a bungalow fire in Great Chesterford near Saffron Walden on Tuesday evening.

Neighbours called the fire service after hearing smoke alarms sounding in the property.

When fire crews arrived at the property they found flames and smoke coming from the garage and utility room. Firefighters wearing breathing apparatus entered the property and managed to extinguish the fire by 6:20pm. The property has been badly damaged by the fire and has been left uninhabitable.

Firefighters said the fire had started accidentally due to electrics.

Watch Manager Paul Curtis, Saffron Walden Fire Station said: “Incidents like this show how important smoke alarms are and we want to encourage everyone to check their smoke alarms are in good working order. This fire could have been a lot worse if the neighbours were not alerted to the fire by the smoke alarms.

“We can fit smoke alarms completely free of charge to anyone living in Essex so book a home visit.”

0 comments

Welcome , please leave your message below.

Optional - JPG files only
Optional - MP3 files only
Optional - 3GP, AVI, MOV, MPG or WMV files
Comments

Please log in to leave a comment and share your views with other Dunmow Broadcast visitors.

We enable people to post comments with the aim of encouraging open debate.

Only people who register and sign up to our terms and conditions can post comments. These terms and conditions explain our house rules and legal guidelines.

Comments are not edited by Dunmow Broadcast staff prior to publication but may be automatically filtered.

If you have a complaint about a comment please contact us by clicking on the Report This Comment button next to the comment.

Not a member yet?

Register to create your own unique Dunmow Broadcast account for free.

Signing up is free, quick and easy and offers you the chance to add comments, personalise the site with local information picked just for you, and more.

Sign up now

More news stories

A 19-year-old man suspected of terrorism offences has been arrested in Bishop’s Stortford.

An application to build 20 homes in Takeley, separated “just 20 metres” from Hatfield Forest has been granted, despite the National Trust saying the number of visitors is already “unsustainable” and that further development close to the forest could damage the ancient woodland.

Dunmow United footballers and supporters held a minute’s silence for former player Elliot Peters, before an inaugural memorial match was held.

A woman has been sentenced to 16 months in prison for causing a collision in Saffron Walden which left a young boy with life-changing head injuries.

Digital Edition

Image
Read the Dunmow Broadcast e-edition E-edition

Most read stories

Newsletter Sign Up

Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter