Excitement builds as Essex awaits the Tour de France tomorrow (Monday, July 7)
19:56 06 July 2014
The Tour de France arrives in Essex tomorrow (Monday, July 7).
Thousands of people will be lining the Essex route to enjoy the colour, passion and sheer spectacle of the biggest annual sporting event in the world.
Yesterday and today was a fantastic event for Yorkshire and tomorrow will be an amazing day for Stage 3 – Cambridge, Essex and London. Spectators are reminded to respect the riders, protect yourself and children by staying back from the road as the race passes.
To plan the day, visit LeTourEssex.com/spectators for more information or download the Stage 3 spectator guide: http://letour.yorkshire.com/spectator-guide/.
It is full of information highlighting some of the places to watch the event:
• Big screens showing the race: Finchingfield’s village green, Felsted village and Chelmsford’s Admirals Park.
• The Sprint will take place at along Epping high street so arrive early to view the race at this location.
• The route through Essex will allow people to watch the peloton as it makes its way through Epping high street towards the Mall in London.
• There will be viewing areas for people with disabilities on the forecourt of Saffron Walden Fire Station on Hill Street.
• Spectators are advised moving along the route will be difficult so choose a location and plan to remain there to witness the excitement of the race.
Cllr Ann Naylor, Essex County Council’s cabinet member for public health and wellbeing, said: “We are expecting many fans to line the roads along the route, so we want people to leave plenty of time to get to where they want to watch the race.
“A variety of entertainment events have been organised to make the day a fantastic experience for all. Thousands of people will watch the race at many great locations in Essex.
“People are advised to walk, cycle or use public transport to get to the event and to remember to check for any last-minute changes before travelling to see the Tour de France.”
The third stage will race from Cambridge to London via Essex on July 7.
The most up to date information is available at LeTourEssex.com. The website includes spectator advice, interactive maps showing road closures, changes to the bus services and information about parking.
Information is also available Twitter: http://twitter.com/LeTourEssex.
Stage Three of the Tour de France comes to Essex on Monday, July 7:
• Roads close in Uttlesford and Braintree between 7.30am and 4pm; in Chelmsford between 8am and 5pm; in Epping Forest north of the A414 between 8am and 4pm; and in Epping Forest south of, and including the A414, between 9am and 5pm;
• The only roads that are closed are those that make up the Tour de France route; cul-de-sacs and no-through-roads connected to roads on the route will be open but may not be accessible;
• While the road closures are in place no vehicles, bicycles or horses are permitted on the route;
• Vehicle owners will not be able to park on the route while the road closures are in place;
• A list of bus services affected is available at www.LeTourEssex.com.