Essex warned to prepare for snowy weather

PUBLISHED: 09:48 12 January 2017 | UPDATED: 09:48 12 January 2017

Commuters in Essex have been warned about snowy conditions

Commuters in Essex have been warned about snowy conditions

Archant

Commuters making their way home could see snow fall snow during the rush hour, with the possibility of heavier snow hitting the region between 4am and 5am on Friday.

The yellow warning of snow for Essex and Suffolk comes into force at 10am today and is valid until 2pm on Saturday.

A Met Office warning states: “There is a chance of snow settling with disruption to road, rail and air services as well as interruptions to power supplies and other utilities – this more likely across East Anglia and south-east England.

“Associated heavy rain and strong winds may prove additional hazards.

“As skies clear on Thursday night there is also potential for widespread ice to form quite rapidly on untreated surfaces.”

Adam Drury, forecaster at Weatherquest, said although today’s snowfall is unlikely to settle due to forecast rain and mild temperatures, there is a greater chance tomorrow morning due to freezing temperatures.

He added there was a 10-20% chance of snow this evening. He said Friday’s chances of snow are 40-50% in west Suffolk and 20-30% in east Suffolk with Essex more likely to see snow on both days.

As a result, drivers have been warned to take extra care on the roads on their way home tonight and on their way into work tomorrow.

Rod Dennis, of the RAC said: “Even a small amount of snowfall has the potential to cause major disruption for motorists.”

If you see snow falling in Uttlesford today then email your pictures to editor@saffronwalden-reporter.co.uk or editor@dunmow-broadcast.co.uk.

0 comments

Welcome , please leave your message below.

Optional - JPG files only
Optional - MP3 files only
Optional - 3GP, AVI, MOV, MPG or WMV files
Comments

Please log in to leave a comment and share your views with other Dunmow Broadcast visitors.

We enable people to post comments with the aim of encouraging open debate.

Only people who register and sign up to our terms and conditions can post comments. These terms and conditions explain our house rules and legal guidelines.

Comments are not edited by Dunmow Broadcast staff prior to publication but may be automatically filtered.

If you have a complaint about a comment please contact us by clicking on the Report This Comment button next to the comment.

Not a member yet?

Register to create your own unique Dunmow Broadcast account for free.

Signing up is free, quick and easy and offers you the chance to add comments, personalise the site with local information picked just for you, and more.

Sign up now

More news stories

Thu, 15:31

Officers are appealing for information after a woman reported being assaulted in Saffron Walden on May 18.

Thu, 11:40

No patients died as a result of winter ambulance delays, analysis has said - but three people did suffer severe harm.

Thu, 09:52

An application to build 20 homes in Takeley, separated “just 20 metres” from Hatfield Forest has been granted, despite the National Trust saying the number of visitors is already “unsustainable” and that further development close to the forest could damage the ancient woodland.

Thu, 08:50

A 19-year-old man suspected of terrorism offences has been arrested in Bishop’s Stortford.

Digital Edition

Image
Read the Dunmow Broadcast e-edition E-edition

Most read stories

Newsletter Sign Up

Dunmow Broadcast weekly newsletter
Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter