Essex fire service sack chief officer David Johnson

PUBLISHED: 16:37 25 April 2017 | UPDATED: 17:17 25 April 2017

Former Essex chief fire officer David Johnson

Former Essex chief fire officer David Johnson

Archant

Fire bosses in Essex have dismissed their chief officer after suspending him on full pay for two years.

In a statement released on the Essex County Fire and Rescue service’s website, Anthony Hedley, chairman of the Essex Fire Authority, revealed the service had decided to sack David Johnson from his position.

A chief fire officer for a number of years, Mr Johnson was suspended from his role in April 2015 after being on sick leave since April 2014.

The BBC put in a Freedom of Information request in summer 2016 which revealed £201,000 has been spent on Mr Johnson’s suspension between April 20, 2015 and February 29, 2016.

These figures included legal fees of £116,000 and £97,000 spent on staff allowances for covering the chief fire officer’s responsibilities.

Announcing his dismissal today, Mr Hedley said: “With immediate effect, today (Tuesday 25 April) David Johnson has been dismissed as Chief Fire Officer for Essex County Fire and Rescue Service.

“This dismissal follows a robust process in compliance with the law in relation to statutory officers.”

1 comment

  • Emily Townsend, why was he dismissed, any ideas?

    Report this comment

    Poet

    Tuesday, April 25, 2017

The views expressed in the above comments do not necessarily reflect the views of this site

More news stories

Yesterday, 11:04

A learner driver whose car hit a five-year-old boy before hitting a wall in Gabriel Street, Saffron Walden, has pleaded guilty to causing serious injury by dangerous driving.

Yesterday, 10:07

A campaigner has spoken about his “dream” for buildings near Dunmow which housed prisoners of war during the Second World War to be turned into a museum, rather than possibly demolished to make way for new homes.

Yesterday, 08:54

Suspects entered a church on the B1051 at Broxted on March 30 and removed two coffin stands, a wooden ladder, a wooden table and a brass bible stand.

Yesterday, 10:58

Essex Fire said a resident from Hall Close in Henham had a lucky escape this morning after a fire went undetected in his house until he went upstairs to bed and found the room full of smoke.

Digital Edition

Image
Read the Dunmow Broadcast e-edition E-edition

Most read stories

Newsletter Sign Up

Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter