September 1 2014 Latest news:
Thursday, July 3, 2014
Families intending to watch the Tour De France race when it travels through the Braintree District are being advised to plan ahead of the race.
The event, taking place on Monday, July 7, will see some of the world’s best riders travel through Finchingfield, Wethersfield, Shalford, Shalford Green and Rayne, with thousands of people expected to gather to watch the race.
However, with the route closing from 7.30am in the morning to vehicles, race-goers are advised to think about where they will watch the race and look at parking plans and travel arrangements now to save problems on the day.
Cllr Peter Tattersley, deputy cabinet member at Braintree District Council, said: “We keep talking about how fantastic it is to have one of the world’s greatest sporting events on our doorstep, and with the bridge in Finchingfield and the tight turns in Wethersfield and Rayne we have some of the best sections of the route in our district.
“But as the day gets closer it’s important that people think about where they want to watch the race, and the logistics of getting there.
“We have been working closely with our Parish Council’s over recent months, and a number of parking sites have been identified which will cost visitors between £5 and £10 per vehicle. However, these are likely to get busy and we would advise visitors to park well in advance of 11am when the publicity caravan parade passes through.
“There will also be a number of cycle parking sites available as we know that many people will want to take their bikes to the event, and if you really want to make the most of the whole tour experience there are also a number of camping options available over the weekend.”
For more information about the Tour De France and maps of all parking sites, visit letouressex.com.
Tour de France car parks on the day:
● Finchingfield: Pony Field, Bardfield Road; Spain’s Hall, Spains Hall Road
● Wethersfield: Wethersfield Sports Field, Hedingham Road
● Shalford: Great Saling Village Hall, Piggotts Lane
● Rayne: Great Notley Country Park Great Notley (accepting cars from 6.30am until 11am) , Station Approach Car park, Braintree (will include a walk along the Flitch way to Rayne)
George Yard Car Park, Braintree (will include a walk along the Flitch way to Rayne)
● Boydells Dairy Farm, Wethersfield – 01371 850481, email@example.com
● Golden Grove camp site, Great Saling – 07917 592310, firstname.lastname@example.org
● Shalford Playing Fields camp site, Shalford Village Hall – 07505 282374, email@example.com,
● Spains Hall Estate, Finchingfield – 01371 811596 , firstname.lastname@example.org
● Brewery Meadow, Wethersfield – 07506 837626, email@example.com