Ambulance service issues DIY warning after Dunmow pensioner injures himself using an angle grinder

12:22 17 March 2014


People have been urged to take care doing DIY after a Dunmow man was injured by an angle grinder.

The East of England Ambulance Service Trust (EEAST) issued the warning after being called to the incident shortly after 3pm yesterday.

The East Anglian Air Ambulance and a land ambulance were both dispatched to the scene off the B184.

An EEAST spokesman said: “A man in his 70s suffered a wound to his thigh and we managed to control the bleeding at the scene. He was conveyed to Broomfield Hospital by land where his condition wasn’t thought to be life threatening.”

The ambulance service’s tips for staying safe during DIY are:

• Wear protective clothing including safety goggles, gloves and dust mask when working with potentially hazardous materials;

• When painting, or using any material that generates toxic fumes or dust, keep the room well ventilated;

• Always use the correct tools for the job;

• Store tools in a safe place;

• When using knives, always cut away from you;

• When fixing or checking electrical appliances or connections, always switch off the power;

• Erect ladders according to the manufacturer’s instructions; and

• Don’t rush as you’re more likely to have an accident and carefully plan the job before you start work.


More news stories

Michael Steward

With the wealth of information available on the internet these days, is it any wonder that more and more frequently I find myself turning to the great world wide web for advice.


Five year-old Kaitlin Ayliffe from Broxted decided to have her long hair cut short on Saturday (September 26) and has given her locks to The Little Princess Trust which makes wigs for children suffering from cancer and other illnesses.

Yesterday, 08:00
Chris Turton with his wife, Jane at the end of the 91-mile cycle route.

Dunmow café-owner, Chris Turton cycled 91 miles on Sunday raising over £600 for Dunmow and District Stroke Support Group.

Yesterday, 07:00
The mushroom seating at Reeve Road.

Residents of a Stansted community are happy after hearing that some play equipment that was removed last week will be reinstalled.

Digital Edition

Read the Dunmow Broadcast e-edition E-edition

Most read stories