Ambulance staff assaulted by drunk patients back trust’s new ‘Don’t Choose to Abuse’ campaign

PUBLISHED: 15:27 27 November 2017

Robert Morton, chief executive of the East of England Ambulance Service. Picture: SU ANDERSON

Robert Morton, chief executive of the East of England Ambulance Service. Picture: SU ANDERSON

The region’s ambulance service has launched a new campaign to reassert its zero tolerance policy on abuse as the number of staff assaulted while on duty continues to rise.

The East of England Ambulance Service NHS Trust (EEAST) has a new message for members of the public receiving emergency care: Don’t Choose to Abuse.

Every year the problem gets worse and in 2016/17 more than 250 physical attacks were recorded against ambulance workers – an increase of 10% from the previous year.

Robert Morton, EEAST chief executive, said: “Ambulance managers, staff and volunteers work hard to save lives and protect the vulnerable in our communities. It is totally unacceptable that they face violence and aggression, whether in person or over the phone, when they are trying to do their best for our patients.

“If someone is drunk or has taken drugs, they are still responsible for their actions. There is no excuse. Our staff should be able to do their job without fear of being attacked.”

In a survey of EEAST staff, more than 10% said they regularly experienced physical abuse while working.

Physical assaults can have a devastating impact on staff, with some requiring treatment for post traumatic stress disorder (PTSD).

Out of the 250-plus assaults committed against EEAST staff last year, around 40 have so far resulted in criminal sanctions.

Chelmsford-based emergency medical technician Ian Watkins was attacked while trying to help a drunk man with a head injury.

The perpetrator was jailed for six months.

Mr Watkins said: “It has definitely changed the way I approach jobs and I am warier and on my guard, especially if I’m going to a drunk patient.

“There is no excuse. The more we can get prosecutions, the more the public will understand that it is unacceptable.”

Mark Little, a duty locality officer in Waveney, was assaulted by a patient intoxicated and who had taken drugs.

His attacker was sentenced to 12 weeks in custody, suspended for 12 months, as well as a community order.

“There is no excuse and physical assaults against staff will not be tolerated,” Mr Little said. “Even if they are intoxicated or taken drugs they are still responsible for their actions.”


Welcome , please leave your message below.

Optional - JPG files only
Optional - MP3 files only
Optional - 3GP, AVI, MOV, MPG or WMV files

Please log in to leave a comment and share your views with other Dunmow Broadcast visitors.

We enable people to post comments with the aim of encouraging open debate.

Only people who register and sign up to our terms and conditions can post comments. These terms and conditions explain our house rules and legal guidelines.

Comments are not edited by Dunmow Broadcast staff prior to publication but may be automatically filtered.

If you have a complaint about a comment please contact us by clicking on the Report This Comment button next to the comment.

Not a member yet?

Register to create your own unique Dunmow Broadcast account for free.

Signing up is free, quick and easy and offers you the chance to add comments, personalise the site with local information picked just for you, and more.

Sign up now

More news stories

A proposal set out by the Government which warns councils they could lose planning powers if not enough homes are built have been met with criticism from a council group who say it is a ‘further attack’ on authorities who are struggling to build the required number of homes.

Yesterday, 09:21

Police are appealing for information about two carjackings in Felsted on March 15 during which a man was threatened with a knife and another was forced out of his car.

Yesterday, 15:14

A teenager from Watford has been arrested by Hertfordshire Police as part of a National Crime Agency led investigation into the hoax bomb threat which affected schools across Essex.

Yesterday, 08:32

Burglars stole clothing worth thousands of pounds in another raid at Jacks in the early hours of Wednesday morning (March 21).

Digital Edition

Read the Dunmow Broadcast e-edition E-edition

Most read stories

Newsletter Sign Up

Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter