Ambulance service thanks public after a two per cent call increase over the bank holiday weekend

PUBLISHED: 12:56 29 August 2017 | UPDATED: 12:56 29 August 2017

Biggleswade and Shefford firefighters and paramedics helped extricate a motorist who was trapped by her injuries after a crash involving three cars in Henlow last night.

Biggleswade and Shefford firefighters and paramedics helped extricate a motorist who was trapped by her injuries after a crash involving three cars in Henlow last night.

Archant

The East of England Ambulance Service has thanked the public after seeing just a two per cent rise in calls over the bank holiday weekend.

The service received 7,976 emergency calls over the short break, with Saturday (August 26) seeing the highest figures as more than 2,600 calls came in.

In total, 2,183 responses were sent out to incidents that day.

Essex was the busiest county in the region though, with more than 2,400 calls over the three-day weekend.

Compared to last year, however, the county has improved with 2,467 put into the service in 2016.

Robert Morton, chief executive, said: “The bank holiday weekend is reported as being one of the hottest on record for decades and usually we would see a marked increase to match.

“I would like to thank to the public for choosing wisely over the weekend. Although we received almost 8,000 calls, there could have been a greater demand for our service.

“I’d also like to thank our staff, volunteers and managers for working hard to provide the best care to our patients.”

0 comments

Welcome , please leave your message below.

Optional - JPG files only
Optional - MP3 files only
Optional - 3GP, AVI, MOV, MPG or WMV files
Comments

Please log in to leave a comment and share your views with other Dunmow Broadcast visitors.

We enable people to post comments with the aim of encouraging open debate.

Only people who register and sign up to our terms and conditions can post comments. These terms and conditions explain our house rules and legal guidelines.

Comments are not edited by Dunmow Broadcast staff prior to publication but may be automatically filtered.

If you have a complaint about a comment please contact us by clicking on the Report This Comment button next to the comment.

Not a member yet?

Register to create your own unique Dunmow Broadcast account for free.

Signing up is free, quick and easy and offers you the chance to add comments, personalise the site with local information picked just for you, and more.

Sign up now

More news stories

Thu, 15:31

Officers are appealing for information after a woman reported being assaulted in Saffron Walden on May 18.

Thu, 11:40

No patients died as a result of winter ambulance delays, analysis has said - but three people did suffer severe harm.

Thu, 09:52

An application to build 20 homes in Takeley, separated “just 20 metres” from Hatfield Forest has been granted, despite the National Trust saying the number of visitors is already “unsustainable” and that further development close to the forest could damage the ancient woodland.

Thu, 08:50

A 19-year-old man suspected of terrorism offences has been arrested in Bishop’s Stortford.

Digital Edition

Image
Read the Dunmow Broadcast e-edition E-edition

Most read stories

Newsletter Sign Up

Dunmow Broadcast weekly newsletter
Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter